Flying with my bass...

boscal45

• Members

I am working at a camp in California this summer and I need to take my bass with me. What's is the best way to get it (G&L Tribute L2K) from Iowa to California?

1. Ship it to the camp and fly out seperately?

2. Buy a hard case and throw it under the plane?

3. Bring it in a gig bag and hope the flight attendant has a corner I can put it in?

What would you do? Are there other options?

Thanks,

Pete

• Members

Option 2 could work. Unfortunately, while the thought would be to lock the case, if security has any thought that something is in there, they'll destroy it to get it open.

Option 3 is what my guitarist has done many times (flying to places for cruise ship gigs). Check with the airline, but they usually have a closet up front that you can store your bass in. If this is the one you go for, I'd still buy a hardshell case.

• Members

if you throw it under the plane make sure that you tune all of your strings down, because it could snap the neck or break the strings.

I'm not too sure if it will snap the neck. I am fairly sure it's not good for the bass though

• Members

I've always taken my bass in a soft case and stashed it somewhere, the flight attendants have always been great. They usually have lockers up front but, if those aren't available, I'll put it in the space between the last row of seats and the wall.

Archived