Okay..... You win! Passive is better than active!

Funkee1

• Members

So I went to SD yesterday to re-cut some bass parts for the upcoming Beyond Category EP. I cannot wait to post some stuff!!

Anyway, how we recorded the bass was into an Eden Traveler head, and we ran my bass flat, and Mario dialed in a tone. It was a lot cooler than the tone I usually get, so I asked him how he did it. He said sometimes the signal coming in is just too hot for the amp to make much of a difference, so if you run it flat, and let the amp do all the heavy lifting tonewise, your cabs sound better, and the head runs more efficiently.

Hmmmmm.........
:idea:

So when I got to my gig last night, I set the GBE-750 up the way I usually do, but ran my bass flat- no actives. I thought I'd miss some low end, but no!!!

The tone was way more biting than I usually get, and fat, and juicy. Slap tone wasn't as sparkly, but it didn't get lost in the mix as much!

I'm gonna have to experiment a little more with this.... I'll keep you posted.

Oh....and those who say EMG-HZ pickups don't sound good are wrong!

Suggestion to Spector: Love the basses, but how about an active/passive switch? Whaddya think?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah yeah, and Pepsi is better than Coke.

It's about personal preference. A lot of the problems with recording active basses can be solved by turning down the output volume and setting the EQ on the bass flat.

Yes, I know the preamp is buffering where the passive bass does not have that buffer. But still... not having an EQ isn't always a good thing. You're just relocating where you EQ in the chain if it's not in the bass.

I like that with an onboard active bass EQ, I can change what type of signal the bass is sending the amp. This will affect how the bass drives the amp in the pre stage and can have a wide result, especially if you are using any kind of gain.

All this said, the EQ in the bass needs to be a good EQ.

• Members
So I went to SD yesterday to re-cut some bass parts for the upcoming Beyond Category EP. I cannot wait to post some stuff!!

Anyway, how we recorded the bass was into an Eden Traveler head, and we ran my bass flat, and Mario dialed in a tone. It was a lot cooler than the tone I usually get, so I asked him how he did it. He said sometimes the signal coming in is just too hot for the amp to make much of a difference, so if you run it flat, and let the amp do all the heavy lifting tonewise, your cabs sound better, and the head runs more efficiently.

Hmmmmm.........

:idea:

So when I got to my gig last night, I set the GBE-750 up the way I usually do, but ran my bass flat- no actives. I thought I'd miss some low end, but no!!!

The tone was way more biting than I usually get, and fat, and juicy. Slap tone wasn't as sparkly, but it didn't get lost in the mix as much!

I'm gonna have to experiment a little more with this.... I'll keep you posted.

Oh....and those who say EMG-HZ pickups don't sound good are wrong!

Suggestion to Spector: Love the basses, but how about an active/passive switch? Whaddya think?

Hmmmm... so you didn't actually record or gig a Passive bass, just didn't boost the onboard pre of your bass?

• Members

Hmmmm... so you didn't actually record or gig a Passive bass, just didn't boost the onboard pre of your bass?

Correctamundo! There is no way to make my Spectors completely passive (that I know of...) but I didn't bost anything. Sounded a little less bottomy than I usually like, but really nice! Had a great growly tone!

• Members

Unless I had an EQ pedal or something or a two channel amp I couldn't live without an active bass eq -- I like to add/remove bass/mids too much during different songs. We play a ton of different covers ranging from reggae-ish sound to serious rock tone, and it's nice to tweak without mucking with the amp.

• Members

Yeah, not passive.

I'm prone to agree with this sentiment. it's not "actively" boosting or cutting, but it still has a preamp inline.

I used to crank the bass on my actives, sounded great in my bedroom, but never translated at gigs. I use moderate tone shaping now, and love the cut-through power I have!

I love the Hz pickups! I had a set dropped into my MIM Jazz 5 string after playing my Schecter (which came with them as stock p'ups)

Glad you got a good tone and found a wayt o get that "new bass" smell back!!

• Members

it's tit fer titties...

I bought this ESP (LTD) when HZ's first came out and this thing was killer.
Granted, it was a higher end LTD which sounds {censored}in' pissy if you have ever seen Japan's ESP, but this thing was killer.

And I think it had alot to do with the pups.

• Members

I've been Gassin' for a Spector lately....... Legend 6
:love:

Legend 6 is really nice. Beware....the legends are gateway Spectors. Get one, and soon you'll be mortgaging your house for an NS-6 in bubinga!

• Members

Anyone who lives in the south will tell you that Coke kicks Pepsi's ass.

Maybe in the big cities but not if you were a country boy.

When I grew up Pepsi sold for 9 cents and came in a 10 oz bottle. Coke sold for 10 cents and came in a 6-1/2 oz bottle. Since sales tax started at 10 cents that dime the Coke cost became 11 cents while the Pepsi was still 9 cents. Guess what us poor dumb Crackers learned to drink.

BTW, a Cracker considers anybody from north of the Suwanne River to be nothing but a damn tourist, anyway.

• Members

Weird. I'm one of those guys that switches them up all the time, depending on what I do

On my ASAT, my basic rule of thumb is:

fingers (general): active setting 2 (treble boost) on
slap: active setting 1
tapping: active setting 1
fake fretless: actives off, bridge PU soloed
fake upright: actives off, mid PU soloed

and even then, those arent set in stone

• Members
Correctamundo! There is no way to make my Spectors completely passive (that I know of...) but I didn't bost anything. Sounded a little less bottomy than I usually like, but really nice! Had a great growly tone!

It wasn't passive then.

If you did bypass the preamp it would sound a bit different since the pickups would no longer be buffered. Passive would sound a bit darker.

You just heard more mids since you weren't boosting the lows and highs. ;)

Archived