Need some bass advice.

ChihliDog

• Members

Hey guys, I dont think I have ever posted in the bass forum so I hope you dont mind helping out a stranger :o

Anyway, I am no longer in a band, and I have been doing a lot of PC recording. I dont currently own a bass and I kinda need one. So I was at GC today checking out all of their basses. I've got a Mesa/Boogie dual rectifier to trade, so price wasnt a real issue for me. I tried a lot of different stuff, from a used Schecter, 2 Ibanez, 2 Music Mans, and a few others. Out of all of them, I like this one the best:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SR500-Soundgear-4-String-Bass-102550159-i1148507.gc

It played and sounded much better to me than anything else I touched. I dont like the fact that it's Indonesian, however. Makes me concerned about the quality and of course the resale value. I'm wondering if any of you have some suggestions for a bass that might feel and sound as good for a similar price? say 500-600 bucks. And, did I just play Music Mans that were lemons or what? They were well made, that was obvious, but I couldnt get an real pop out of them, and the neck and action didnt feel near as nice to me as the Ibanez. Any idea what's up with that?

I should mention, Im a guitar player, not a bass player, if that wasnt obvious. Thanks for any input. :thu:

• Members

Don't be afraid of an Indonesian instrument. I love my Squier Deluxe Jazz V. And though that bass is in a lower price range than you are looking at, you need to play one before you laugh.

After playing the Ibanez today, I certainly wouldnt laugh at an Indonesian piece. That thing was sick. Sounded fantastic, played beautifully, sat perfectly in my lap, it was light, the neck was just incredible. If I were blindfolded, played all the basses in that room and asked to guess which one was the high-dollar American made bass, I would have picked that Ibanez for sure.

The EBMM was not as smooth, the action was higher, and it sounded muddy no matter what I set the EQs at. I played a used Schecter that had action a mile high compared to the Ibanez, I didnt even play it long enough to see if I could get sounds I liked from it. I knew I hated it the minute I fretted it, and i am a BIG fan of their guitars. So for sure no laughing here.

I hate to take that big of a hit in value, I know resale on that Ibby has got to suck, but it may be in my lap by this time tomorrow. Thanks for the input guys.

• Members

Don't judge a bass at GC by the action. Seriously, some of the worst set up basses I've ever played have been at Guitar Centers. You can't even get a semi-decent idea of some of the instruments from the {censored} set ups.

• Members

Don't judge a bass at GC by the action. Seriously, some of the worst set up basses I've ever played have been at Guitar Centers. You can't even get a semi-decent idea of some of the instruments from the {censored} set ups.

I definitely tried to keep this in mind, I see it all the time with their guitars. However, the EBMMs were kept on a high rack and didnt seem to get played much, and I tried 2 of them. I may try another tomorrow at a different shop that takes really good care of their stuff. It's a local place I deal with a lot and theyre very good with their inventory and set all their guitars up when they're sold.

I might be able to get a better deal there, too. We'll see what happens.

• Members

ain't that the Truth!

• Members

I definitely tried to keep this in mind, I see it all the time with their guitars. However, the EBMMs were kept on a high rack and didnt seem to get played much, and I tried 2 of them. I may try another tomorrow at a different shop that takes really good care of their stuff. It's a local place I deal with a lot and theyre very good with their inventory and set all their guitars up when they're sold.

They seem to have a very plain jane setup on their EBMM stock at GC. I have yet to play a new MM bass instrument that had a nice setup there.

Archived