Starter practice amp recommendation?

jemmus

• Members

I can kind of play guitar but I'm not even a noob at bass yet. Got an ESP B-10 on its way in the mail. (I'm buying it separately, not as a starter pack with the amp included). Any recommendations on a bedroom/basement amp to go with it? My budget is $100 or less. I'm even considering buying the ESP starter bass amp for 15 bucks on Ebay. Any recommendations? Thanks and goodness to you.

• Members

For $100 or less, you're just about SOL. $150 to $200 range, you start finding some nice used gear. I'd look for a used Roland Cube Bass 30. 30 watts, all kinds of modeling features, great tone even with a low B (as long as you aren't diming it), and a few built-in effects which are nice! Everyone who has heard mine has been very impressed with it. BTW, when my guitarist comes over to jam, he uses it, and we love the tone for that, too.

• Members

Peavey MAX combo or the new Acoustic B20 combo. Come'on Bassman, where's he gonna get a Roland Cube for a 100 bucks? From that little old lady who sold the forum member a mint 1976 Fender Jazz for 175.00? :confused:

• Members

Peavey MAX combo or the new Acoustic B20 combo. Come'on Bassman, where's he gonna get a Roland Cube for a 100 bucks? From that little old lady who sold the forum member a mint 1976 Fender Jazz for 175.00?
:confused:

Re-read my post. ;) I suggested going up to $150 to $200. And, I got mine for $150 including the shipping. I've seen similar on used ones. But, you have to watch for it.

• Members

I thought you guys were going to say that-- nothing worth using as a doorstop for under $150-$200. Got a Roland Microcube for guitar and it's definitely a gem, so I'll check out the bass version. The guitar one sounds just a little digity. Great for guitar, but how's Roland do for bass? I was thinking something with some old style analog-ish whump. I can see the Roland Cube kicking butt for variety of sounds, but any thoughts on basic tone vs. the Peavey? Thanks bros.

• Members

Check you local CL and small ads in the papers. Go used for the most bang for the buck.

Peavey, maybe Nemesis in that range. Avoid Behringer, unless you play one in person and really like it.

Also, don't shy away from older odd-ball brands like Polytone, if you're lucky enough to find a player that cheap.

• Members

For $100 or less, you're just about SOL. $150 to $200 range, you start finding some nice used gear. I'd look for a used Roland Cube Bass 30. 30 watts, all kinds of modeling features, great tone even with a low B (as long as you aren't diming it), and a few built-in effects which are nice! Everyone who has heard mine has been very impressed with it. BTW, when my guitarist comes over to jam, he uses it, and we love the tone for that, too.

Yep, the Roland Cube Bass 30 is a great little practice amp.

Find a used one.

A cheap thin sounding amp will not give you much incentive to play.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

After Action Report - Went with the Peavey Micro Bass, 40 bucks used on ebay. Excellent deal! Built to last, heavy as a box of bricks, and has that all-American, clean plain vanilla Peavey bass thump we all know and love. Somehow it reminds me of being in church or a public school auditorium again-- and I mean that in a good way! :thu:

Archived