2X10+2X10 vs 4X10

samson3382

• Members

should work fine! but what about a 212?

I've conseidered a 2X12, never played through one. I have to admit either one is gonna look pretty funky stacking three mismatched cabs and an 8 space rack case. Most soundguys will problably stop me at 2 cabs. I've had sound guys get pissed when the saw my old setup. But i actually listen the sound of my rig unlike allot of the bass players in bands around here, (boise) who just think louder is better, regardless of the sound...

• Members

I'm pretty happy with my 1x15 / 2x10 rig. I'll solo the 1x15 cab for smaller gigs. the 2x10 alone doesn't sound as good IMO.

The advantages of a pair of 2x10s are portability and the ability to mix & match. a 4x10 weighs more but probably costs less than a pair of 2x10s.

• Members

What is your total load for the stack now? Would it support a second 210 of same "ohmage"? To me, if this were the case, I'd strongly consider another 210.

That said, how does the actual sound volume and tone vary between two 210's and one 410, of the same company and series? No idea. You would think not much, if any, that the human ear could perceive.

• Members

I already have a good fifteen 8ohm, GBE1200, and Benz 2X10XB 8ohm. 2X10s are nice and easy to move. Should I find a second good 2X10 i like the sound of and just add it to the setup? or get a whole new 4X10?

I know where your coming from. I felt the same way about my SWR Goliath Jr.III 2x10". When I compared it to the Goliath 4x10", I did not like the sound as much; too hazy, for lack of a better description. It seemed to lack the clarity I loved in the Jr.III.

Meanwhile, I came across the SWR Son of Bertha 1/15" from our very own Catphish. I had read many rave reviews about it, and decided to give it a shot.

You have to analyze your playing situations. For example, I found out that the 2x10" worked best for playing solo or in quiet/small group situations, where it's clarity shown thru.

The SOB, on the other hand, wasn't as inspiring in those situations(although the tight low end kicked ass), rather sat in the mix perfectly in a louder/rock type situation.

The two cab configurations complimented each other perfectly, and stacked were quite nice. :)

• Members

I prefer 2 of the 210's over a 410 for a few reasons. Easier to move (1), more flexibility (2), you have a backup cab if one fails (3), and it usually sounds better (4) because there's less "bleeding" of frequencies from one pair of 10's into the other, which causes a certain form of distortion.

• Members

I prefer 2 of the 210's over a 410 for a few reasons. Easier to move (1), more flexibility (2), you have a backup cab if one fails (3), and it usually sounds better (4) because there's less "bleeding" of frequencies from one pair of 10's into the other, which causes a certain form of distortion.

word. i think im gonna go with another 2X10, might do a speaker upgrade on the one i have now first though and see what i think @ that point like i just did with my 1X15.

What is your total load for the stack now? Would it support a second 210 of same "ohmage"? To me' date=' if this were the case, I'd strongly consider another 210.QUOTE']

as of now im running two 8 ohm cabs with an amp that is 2 ohm stable. so i could get a 3rd cab, either 8 or 4 ohms right? (if it were a 2X10, 8 ohms would probly be better) is it safe to run the GBE1200 @ 2.66 ohms in the 2 ohm setting?

I've asked that question before but i just want double, then triple check, just to be safe. (and check with Benz)

• Members

I agree. I use two 2x10s.

Archived