How do you feel about the phrase "My Band"

Apendecto

• Members

I usually hear this from singer/guitar player/songwriters I've played with. I can't stand it. You aren't paying me. You aren't super famous.

I usually try to say "the band I play in" or "our band".

Am I crazy?

Yo.

• Members

I usually hear this from singer/guitar player/songwriters I've played with. I can't stand it. You aren't paying me. You aren't super famous.

Am I crazy?

Yo.

I say 'my band', same as I say 'my family'.

• Members

I say "my band" when referring to either of my bands. I expect the same when Mario/Dave/Alex/Laura (and any other various people I may play with) are talking about the band. We all have at least some ownership of the final product and referring to it as "mine" helps to solidify that. If there are a few of us around talking to someone else who isn't involved, it will usually be referred to as "our band", but using "our" doesn't make much sense when it is just me talking to a different individual who has nothing to do with the band.

• Members

I don't go to my school, I go to the school in which I'm enrolled.

I don't play on my bowling team, I play on the team in which I am a member.

I don't visit with my family, I visit with the family in which I was born.

While I'm at it:

I didn't test the circuit, the circuit was tested.

I didn't bake the pie, the pie was baked.

I didn't play the bass, the bass was played.

• Members

I call my friend, Mario, "my drummer" all the time. He likes it. Says it makes him feel legit (he has never been in any bands before these two).

If I'm hanging out with Laura (the bassist in the band I front), she will say "I am in Collin's band" and I always have to tell her that it is her band, too.

• Members

Another one that bugs me is when the guitar player is introducing me to his friends or whatever it's, "Hi, this is my bass player."

Crazy jr?

Yo.

Our guitarist did that once until I introduced him to one of my friends as "this is my weedly-weedly, solo-wankery-guitarded band showboat guy".

Suddenly, I wasn't "his" bassplayer anymore. :rolleyes:

:D

• Moderators

Am I crazy?

Yo.

Yes, you're crazy.

We say, "my job,", "my family." We don't own those things. They aren't super famous. Same with a band.

• Moderators

I say "my band" when referring to either of my bands. I expect the same when Mario/Dave/Alex/Laura (and any other various people I may play with) are talking about the band. We all have at least some ownership of the final product and referring to it as "mine" helps to solidify that. If there are a few of us around talking to someone else who isn't involved, it will usually be referred to as "our band", but using "our" doesn't make much sense when it is just me talking to a different individual who has nothing to do with the band.

It might, if you have a mouse in your pocket.

Or a hamster.

• Members

It might, if you have a mouse in your pocket.

Or a hamster.

Those who know me really well are very aware of my dream to one day have a pet rodent that acts similar to an animal in a Disney movie. Something that lives in my pocket and communicates with me through squeaks and gestures. Yes, in that situation, everything would then be referred to in the plural. :thu:

• Members

There are a lot of people out there, myself included, that say "we" or "us" when referring to our favorite sports teams. I'm not a member of the Cubs, yet every year I say "man, I can't believe we blew it again this year".

Yes, I say its "my" band as well.

• Members

I kinda liken it to something like saying my group of friends. Saying my band doesn't necessarily imply ownership, and often I can see it as a shorter version of thei is the band I am in... But if it is indeed that persons band, i.e. A solo act with a backing band, I would say thats fine. If they imply ownership and they are not the sole person in the band, then that is lamage.

Archived