Advice for sticky insurance claim w/ a bass I recently bought

t3ch

• Members

Ok so I recently bought a bass for $300 that was damaged in shipping. I gave the packing some "encouragement", filed a claim, UPS honored it, and is cutting a $300 check and sending the bass to him. The guy is being helpful and working with me, but I'm unsure how to approach the situation. He now has $600 and a bass.

On one hand, I would like the bass, but I also don't want him to basically double his money and send me a bass with a giant chunk taken out of it because he didn't pack it well.

On the other hand, I can't very well demand that he send me the bass and the $300 insurance claim.

A situation where we split the money somehow makes sense, but then he's still getting free money for breaking a bass I paid him in full for... Ahhh! I don't want to be a greedy douche, but I don't want to get the short stick either.

• Members

Get the $300 you paid back.

He will have $300 and a damaged bass. You will have $300. He is ahead, but you are not behind.

Start over and negotiate a new price for the now damaged bass.

• Members

He's already received everything that he wants in the deal: $300 and his bass is gone -- You're the one who's suffered a loss. If it were me, and I really wanted the bass, I'd split the $300 in some way with the seller and keep the bass. That way you both win.

• Members

He will have $300 and a damaged bass. You will have $300. He is ahead, but you are not behind.

I'm inclined to agree here. It's his bass, you are out $300 because you refused it. You should get a full refund, no more. I might fight for the shipping back, but wouldn't cry if he said no. Risk of doing business online.

At the end of the day you break even and he has a damaged bass that UPS says is worth $300 for the insurance claim. He comes out ahead by having a damaged bass and $300 back as that is it's value.

I think that were this to happen at a business, UPS would show up with the cheque and take the broken bass to be tossed away, it's a write off now. Technically, so should he. If he is unscrupulous then he'll keep it and maybe even resell it later. That's his call to make, it's his insurance claim, and it's him that will be frauding UPS if he does anything but destroy it.

• Members

+1

• Members

Stop being so nice, anything short of getting the 300 bucks and the bass is just letting him make money for no reason at all.

I agree with this. You paid him 300 bucks for the bass. He has that money still right? So he's done. He owes you the insurance claim AND the bass. That's the transaction -- you now own the bass. it's insured, so you get paid since it broke.

Screw this {censored} footing bullcrap.

If he's going to try to make extra money on it he's the one being a greedy douche, he already done got paid :)

• Members

I agree with this. You paid him 300 bucks for the bass. He has that money still right? So he's done. He owes you the insurance claim AND the bass. That's the transaction -- you now own the bass. it's insured, so you get paid since it broke.

Screw this {censored} footing bullcrap.

If he's going to try to make extra money on it he's the one being a greedy douche, he already done got paid
:)

Incorrect. He paid for the insurance and t3ch returned it. t3ch didn't keep it and ask for a refund, he sent it back and asked for one.

The seller is a store, how do stores deal with this? Do they refund your money and give you the broken goods too? No, so this guy shoudln't either.

• Members

UPS has that wierd "we send it back to the seller" thing in place for a while now. The idea seems to be that the claimant can't end up with the goods AND a full refund, BUT it relies on the seller to be honest in dealing with the buyer when they receive the insurance payment. In short, it sucks to be the buyer.

A few years back, I had a Mesa combo amp shipped to me by an Ebay seller. He dropped it off @ the UPS store to pack and ship. It ended up MANGLED. I took photos, contacted the seller, UPS stopped by, inspected it, and said "yup, our fault". They then requested the amp be returned to the original delivery address (I was in a shady neighborhood at the time and had it delivered to my inlaws across town) and in the original packaging. Um, it was a HUGE, ripped up box full of packing peanuts (the extent of the "packaging" for a 70lb amp!!), and I had a small apartment and 2 kittens, It ws long gone in the 6-8 weeks it took to resolve the issue. Long story short, the UPS driver refused to take the amp back with out the packaging, I go tto keep the amp, got a full refund, had it repaired and used itfor several years before selling it last fall.

So, bottom line, throw away your boxes ASAP :)

• Members

Incorrect. He paid for the insurance and t3ch returned it. t3ch didn't keep it and ask for a refund, he sent it back and asked for one.

The seller is a store, how do stores deal with this? Do they refund your money
and
give you the broken goods too? No, so this guy shoudln't either.

I didn't refuse it, I have been using the bass and want to keep it. UPS wasn't supposed to deliver it back to him; we thought they were inspecting it and bringing it back to me.

When returning to stores, they don't get double money either.

• Members

When returning to stores, they don't get double money either.

He shouldn't get double money either, I did say he should issue a full refund. He should get to keep the bass though, a few people now have stated that is UPS's policy these days and it totally makes sense in my eyes. It should be destroyed though, UPS shouldn't really be returning it anywhere.

They should inspect it, if they agree that it's wrecked then they should contact the seller. If he wants it back, he should take part of the money, if he doesn't, he should get a full refund and they should break it in half.

• Members

He shouldn't get double money either, I did say he should issue a full refund. He should get to keep the bass though, a few people now have stated that is UPS's policy these days and it totally makes sense in my eyes. It should be destroyed though, UPS shouldn't really be returning it anywhere.

They should inspect it, if they agree that it's wrecked then they should contact the seller. If he wants it back, he should take part of the money, if he doesn't, he should get a full refund and they should break it in half.

Well, the way he sent it, the claim shouldn't have been honored at all, so he's lucky to be in this situation at all. It had barely any packing material, and had no case. And even if I just take a full refund, he still has the money I paid for it originally AND the bass back. Like I said, free money.

I buy a new bass and am excited. I get it, see it's packed horribly, and has a big chunk out of it. I repack it, have to call UPS several times for arrangements, and then they take my bass that I've paid for and send it to him along with $300. I'm not trying to sound like I'm entitled to anything, but it's kind of aggravating.

• Members

Well, the way he sent it, the claim shouldn't have been honored at all, so he's lucky to be in this situation at all. It had barely any packing material, and had no case. And even if I just take a full refund, he still has the money I paid for it originally AND the bass back. Like I said, free money.

I buy a new bass and am excited. I get it, see it's packed horribly, and has a big chunk out of it. I repack it, have to call UPS several times for arrangements, and then they take my bass that I've paid for and send it to him along with $300. I'm not trying to sound like I'm entitled to anything, but it's kind of aggravating.

You should get a full refund of what you paid. Was that $300? If not you need to talk to him. He has the bass and the insurance money, you should have a full refund, that's what will make it a fair deal in the end.

• Members

At this point the only thing the seller is obligated to do is refund your $300. If he fails at this, you have real cause for action. Otherwise you are whole.

No doubt.

• Members

You should get a full refund
of what you paid
. Was that $300? If not you need to talk to him. He has the bass and the insurance money, you should have a full refund, that's what will make it a fair deal in the end.

Like I said, I'm just aggravated that I'm the only reason he's getting this refund in the first place. In this scenario, I went through all this hassle with a bass I liked and wanted to keep, and he's walking away better than scott free.

It's just annoying more than anything that regardless of how I work this he comes out on top. "Here's a pat on the back for not packing properly"

• Members

Like I said, I'm just aggravated that I'm the only reason he's getting this refund in the first place. In this scenario, I went through all this hassle with a bass I liked and wanted to keep, and he's walking away better than scott free.

It's just annoying more than anything that regardless of how I work this he comes out on top. "Here's a pat on the back for not packing properly"

Yup, pretty much. I'm sure you've heard of a Hurtz Donut, well now you know what a Sux donut is too. :lol:

• Members

Somehow you would feel better if UPS shredded the bass?

You're spending way too much energy on this.

Winner. :thu:

Sorry dude, you know I like you, but you're being a whiny biotch on this one. Good guys finish last, you know that. Just becasue you got lucky once with your gf doesn't mean you're finally getting a charmed life.

• Members

Winner.
:thu:

Sorry dude, you know I like you, but you're being a whiny biotch on this one. Good guys finish last, you know that. Just becasue you got lucky once with your gf doesn't mean you're finally getting a charmed life.

:D

I'm only sounding whiney because we are volleying conversation. Really I was just curious on other peoples takes on the situation. Not terribly worried about anything, I'm pretty over it now. It kinda miffed me when I first got wind of the situation a few hours ago though.

• Members

Personally, I think that t3ch is making this whole thing up, that it's some sort of weird, twisted plea for attention and help. He knows the rules, yet his absolute refusal to abide by them makes his story suspect. No pics, no bass, no damage: it's as simple as that. :poke:

• Members

Personally, I think that t3ch is making this whole thing up, that it's some sort of weird, twisted plea for attention and help. He knows the rules, yet his absolute refusal to abide by them makes his story suspect. No pics, no bass, no damage: it's as simple as that. :poke:

ltd_d5_dent.jpg

Smaller than you'd thought, eh?! ;)

• Members

*That's* what a $300 damage claim looks like?
:thu:

Honestly I would've been content with UPS giving me $50 and the bass. :lol:

I already e-mailed the guy saying congrats on doubling your money, go ahead and just shoot my original payment back and we're square. And I want first dibs if he relists it at a discount. :p

Archived