GAS: Gave the Jack Casady Bass a test run...

db.

• Members

I was gigging at a block party this weekend, and a guest conveniently brought along his gold top Epiphone Jack Casady signature bass. I've always wanted to try one (especially with the band).

I must say, it played real, real nice, and the toan was superb through my Acoustic rig. I thought the semi-hollow design might be a problem, but no. One downside for me is that he had flatwounds on it; I'd prefer to hear it with roundwounds.

But, after performing three songs with it, I give it 4 and a half stars out of 5 for its price range.

I. Want. One. But does anybody have any inside info on this model?

I've got GAS like crazy. :facepalm: Lord help me. GAS out of my ass! :cry:

• Members

Ah, yeah, inside info...

Known to cause more gas than a properly deliciously strong Polish Porter.

In nearly all bass players.

And some non-bass players.

To me, you have to drop twice the coin on a Lakland Skyline Hobo to get much better, and once you do, you have jumped into a whole new level of instrument.

I :love: the Casady, and find it hard to believe I don't have one yet.

• Members

I gig my gold-top regularly. It's got some very nice tones in it, ranging from P-bass thump to T-bird snarl courtesy of the Varitone.

It's also quite comfy to play, with a nice big neck and a light body. My only gripe is the high-gloss dark cherry lacquer on the back of the neck is a bit draggy---easily fixed with some AAA steel wool. :thu:

• Members

I've had mine quite a few years now and I still love it.Right now it's got old TI Jazz flats on.Of all the rounds I've tried DM Blue Steel nickels sounded best to me.My only gripes are the neck dive and the generic case is several inches longer than need be at the headstock end but it fits very well otherwise.

• Members

The Jack Cassady is the most articulate bass I have ever played. Every note at any tone setting is clear and distinct.

I have been using mine as my #1 for several years now and rarely play anything else. I have recorded with it and the sound engineers love the tone but I always keep the Varitone switch on its highest setting for recording to provide a strong signal.

My jack has been blown off the stand during a wicked thunderstorm, been whacked when I accidently lifted it into a ceiling fan and had a mic stand smack it pretty hard when a drunk fell over the monitor and into the band.

It can take a lickin'.

Bass players often come up to me to check it out. I always offer to let them play it and most take me up on the offer. I play a light gauge roundwound strings and play every thing from Punk to Polka in one band or another and it fills every role.

Archived