Got In A Fight With Rickenbacker The Other Night....

sub5ound

• Members

....Good lord!?!?!?!? What was the sick bastard smoking when he invented that beast (4001(?), dunno, vintage...last year for check-bound)????

IT HURT TO PLAY!

Here I am thinking I'm a manly man with my P-bass and I pick this up at rehearsal for a simple jam with the guitards nephew who 'plays' drums...
HOW THE HELL CAN YOU PEOPLE PLAY THOSE THINGS??????

OUCH, DAMN IT!:confused:

• Members
....Good lord!?!?!?!? What was the sick bastard smoking when he invented that beast (4001(?), dunno, vintage...last year for check-bound)????

IT HURT TO PLAY!

Here I am thinking I'm a manly man with my P-bass and I pick this up at rehearsal for a simple jam with the guitards nephew who 'plays' drums...

HOW THE HELL CAN YOU PEOPLE PLAY THOSE THINGS??????

OUCH, DAMN IT!
:confused:

Funny...It is as smooth as silk for me to play. Nothing, I mean Nothing feels better in my hands than my Ric

• Members

Funny...It is as smooth as silk for me to play. Nothing, I mean Nothing feels better in my hands than my Ric

I'm starting to find that too, the big chunky neck, the conveniently placed bridge pickup (I just jam my thumb down in there, perfect).. I find it easier to play than my PBass

• Members

I've actually NEVER played one, but, I love the way they sound and look. Maybe if I save my pennies I can buy one in a few decades...

I liked the way they used to look. I don't dig on the extra big "hip" where the forearm contour should be. The one I owned in the early 90's didn't have such a pronounced shape to it, it flowed MUCH nicer. If I ever buy another, it will be mainly for the tone, yet I still will seek out one like what I had as it was just that little bit easier on the forearm, and it looks lightyears better.

• CMS Author

If your forearm doesn't have a notch, you know you're not playing the right bass.

I'd have to question the claim that the 4000 series body has changed though. I owned a 4001 back in the 70's, and currently have a 4003, and the shapes are identical. I'd love to see some pics though if anyone has examples showing different contours.

• Members
I'd have to question the claim that the 4000 series body has changed though. I owned a 4001 back in the 70's, and currently have a 4003, and the shapes are identical. I'd love to see some pics though if anyone has examples showing different contours.

You may be right. I just pulled up an old photo of me with it, and a few online of what I presume to be new models. But I do remember seeing it on the wall when I tried the new one last year and thinking that the "hip" part of it had a very sharp inward angle, to the point of looking a little goofy, and I never remembered once thinking that about mine. I noticed that from clear across the room too, it only got worse loking as I approached it.

I got a mental image of mine first, then checked it to the photo and it matched. Then got a mental image of what I thought the new one looked like, and it didnt entirely match up.

Maybe that part just felt worse than it really was becasue I was sitting on a stool, bass on my knee, so it rode higher than mine ever did, being low strung with a strap. :idk:

All I know was it made it feel even worse than they used too, so I put it down right fast as that was my number 1 complaint to begin with, being mainly a pick player anyway.

• Moderators

I'm starting to find that too, the big chunky neck, the conveniently placed bridge pickup (I just jam my thumb down in there, perfect).. I find it easier to play than my PBass

"Big, chunky neck"? I've never played a Ric with a big, chunky neck. Precisions, sure. But Rics?

• Moderators

When I got my first Ric, I played with a pick, and the bound edge dug into my right forearm quite a bit. As I transitioned to my fingers, it became less and less of a problem. Of course, once I started playing a 4000 instead of a 4001, the problem went away completely!

• CMS Author

You
may
be right. I just pulled up an old photo of me with it, and a few online of what I presume to be new models. But I do remember seeing it on the wall when I tried the new one last year and thinking that the "hip" part of it had a very sharp inward angle, to the point of looking a little goofy, and I never remembered once thinking that about mine. I noticed that from clear across the room too, it only got worse loking as I approached it.

I got a mental image of mine first, then checked it to the photo and it matched. Then got a mental image of what I thought the new one looked like, and it didnt entirely match up.

Maybe that part just felt worse than it really was becasue I was sitting on a stool, bass on my knee, so it rode higher than mine ever did, being low strung with a strap.
:idk:

All I know was it made it feel even worse than they used too, so I put it down right fast as that was my number 1 complaint to begin with, being mainly a pick player anyway.

It's pretty funny how the body shape is SO familiar, but also very hard to exactly remember without seeing. They are very hard to play comfortably on a stool, at least for me, so I agree that this was probably a big factor for you.

Archived