Gotta vent: My bandleader is driving me crazy........er!

Funkee1

• Members

So the leader of Chain Reaction has asked me to help come up with 3 things.

1) Medleys that will be impressive showpieces for the band. The kind of stuff that go over big at corporate gigs

2) Audience participation type things that people will talk about after they've seen us....

3) Compile a master songlist that incorporates both singers, and He and I, and pick stronger material for him to sing.

So I put together a Motown medley. He has "reservations", because when he thinks of Motown, he thinks Temptations/ Four Tops/ Supremes.

My medley went like this:

Signed, Sealed Delivered

Dancing in the Streets

Please Mr. Postman

Stop in the name of love

Drum Breakdown from ABC

I want you back

Ain't nothing like the real thing

What's going on?

Part of me realizes that this is the job. We just have to go back and forth on this until he's happy, but part of me wants to say "If you're so frikkin smart, why don't you write your own medleys????"

But I'm not stupid, and I need the money.

Goddammitt though... I worked hard researching these tunes, and figured out great transitions. I found songs with cool horn parts, and everyone gets a chance to be featured. We're gonna have both singers on a gig soon, and I even included a duet!!

WTSaget more do I have to do???:soapbox:

I thought we had a "Pulling the hair out" smiley???

• Members

I suggest getting a copy of Creative Soundblaster Editor or Wavelab Editor.

Cut/paste all those songs at the points you think they should translate, and glue together your medley. Then you can email it to him, let him put it on his iPod, and absorb it and tinker with it.

It'll be very helpful for him to actually hear it all flow together, than be in band practice and trying to work it out right then and there. Build the template first, and then everyone learns the parts and transitions and lyrics and all that.

• Members

I suggest getting a copy of Creative Soundblaster Editor or Wavelab Editor.

Cut/paste all those songs at the points you think they should translate, and glue together your medley. Then you can email it to him, let him put it on his iPod, and absorb it and tinker with it.

It'll be very helpful for him to actually hear it all flow together, than be in band practice and trying to work it out right then and there. Build the template first, and then everyone learns the parts and transitions and lyrics and all that.

Thanks for that tip... I'll look into that. It's mainly that he wants us to duplicate the medley that the Temps and 4 tops did on some TV show. Main problem: Not enough singers in our band, and second problem, what's Ms Dionne gonna do while we play Temps? She ain't no Tambourine chick.

• Members
Don't call it a Motown Medley and you're golden.

Regarding #2, have the women have a lollypop licking contest. Worked for Rockstar.

:idea::D:DHe'll shoot it down. He wants classy! He didn't get my (your?) Rick- Roll idea. I had to explain it.

• Members

I find myself wondering, what does the bandleader do, other than shoot down ideas he asked you to come up with?

In this case, he books the gigs, hauls the PA, Maintains the website, pays everyone, maintains the e-mail list, makes setlists and coordinates everything else. He had way too much on his plate, which was why he asked me to help.

OTOH, I wish he'd actually let me do what he asked me to do.......

• Members

Thanks for that tip... I'll look into that. It's mainly that he wants us to duplicate the medley that the Temps and 4 tops did on some TV show. Main problem: Not enough singers in our band, and second problem, what's Ms Dionne gonna do while we play Temps? She ain't no Tambourine chick.

So I got the Free trial of Wavelab editor. If I like it, I'll buy it.....

• Moderators

She'd sing the tenor line, I suppose.

• Members

Band leader? Who put him in charge? Every band I've been in no one was really 'in charge' and if someone came up to me with a list of tasks I'd tell him to go eff himself lol.... What a douche, if he wants this {censored} done so specifically tell him to do it his {censored}in' self

• Members

If he's the "bandleader" then he should be coming up with the medleys, and you should be saying yea or nay to the songs. What kind of a leader is this? You seem to be leading the way...

Archived