Tonight's gig... yeesh, I dunno.

Sugarskull

• Members

A few days ago I did up a facebook invite for our show tonight and forward it onto the other bands. This morning I get an "oh, my, I never check this thing" email. "I didn't know we were booked, we just barely talked to the guy and decided we didn't like what the club had to offer. I can't believe were on the poster. We can't afford to drive up without a guarantee"

So they've made arrangements to come up anyway but need a certain amount to afford the gas back. (4 hour drive home)

I've sent an email to the booking guy, but his last day was the first of May and no one is picking up his forwards to the club. Sooo, me and two bands from out of town will be showing up to a club that may or may not have us playing there tonight. They have us up on their website, but that's it. No answer on the phone either.

To top it all off, I drifted asleep at my desk yesterday and have a bad neck ache/headache that has taken 2 Extra strength tylenol and 2 motrin IB super strength just to get out of bed. Which has me high as a kite right now. lol I also have a really bad cough and a fever too. Nice. Our poor audience. I'm going to have to pull a rabbit out of my bass to make up for the crap singing tonight. Any suggestions?

I'm drinking a pot of green tea to beat the cold down into submission along with some herbs and I think I'm going to call up another club to switch gigs as a possible backup for us.

Any other ideas on how to keep this from going off the rails? Anyone else like to share a gig story like this?

• Members

1) DO NOT USE EMAILS TO ORGANISE GIGS. BAD!!!! VERY BAD!!!!

2) Turn up and just go with whatever happens. We turned up to a gig once and had the guy on the door first try to charge us to get in, then when we told him we were the lead act he goes "oh sht guys, we forgot to hire a PA, do you guys have one?" Total cluster{censored} of a night but it was still fun.

• Members

1) DO NOT USE EMAILS TO ORGANISE GIGS. BAD!!!! VERY BAD!!!!

2) Turn up and just go with whatever happens. We turned up to a gig once and had the guy on the door first try to charge us to get in, then when we told him we were the lead act he goes "oh sht guys, we forgot to hire a PA, do you guys have one?" Total cluster{censored} of a night but it was still fun.

That's funny. I always use email. That way I have it all written out in black and white. "No no no, see right here in your last email you sent, you said we were to receive 500 for the set, not 350."

The club has an excellent sound system from what I understand and I think we have a backup if the club fails on us. lol.

• Members

That's funny. I always use email. That way I have it all written out in black and white. "No no no, see right here in your last email you sent, you said we were to receive 500 for the set, not 350."

The club has an excellent sound system from what I understand and I think we have a backup if the club fails on us. lol.

The problem with email is that people can miss them, they can getpulled by junk filters etc. We send them as well but its on top of verbal communication, so they cant turn around and go "oh i didnt get that email"

• Members

The problem with email is that people can miss them, they can getpulled by junk filters etc. We send them as well but its on top of verbal communication, so they cant turn around and go "oh i didnt get that email"

Fair enough. In all honesty, I should have paid more attention to the gig. It kind of got lost in the shuffle of Vegas and all that when we were booking it.

• Members

Booking guy was there even though he doesn't book that club anymore. Which was pretty darn solid of him and I have much respect for him. (Oh and he booked us for Stampede and we're talking about an after party for the Tattoo Festival as well)

The other two bands were great. There weren't a lot of people in the crowd. It was a new club for us way on the South end of town and the word just didn't get out.. or people were too lazy to drive all that way. Everyone got paid though and it was a decent venue. Good sound, good pizza, cold beer in a frosted mug. Basically a paid rehearsal with free good beer. Who can complain? Not me, that's for sure!

We shut down fairly early and managed to make our way over to another club where These guys!! were playing. Slide and Mandolin, great guitar playing, awesome bass(no outlaw 5 string) It was really really good. The live performance was a whole lot more raw and dirty than the clips that are on the website. More like old country. He's considered Calgary's Hank Williams. He sees us and says "Oh hey, that's Eve Hell, I've been creeping you on Facebook.. my daughter informed me it's called creeping when you check someone out you really like." lol Then he told me to get up there and sing a couple of songs with them. We played 'Thanks A lot' by Johnny Cash and aWanda Jackson tune. They didn't know them, but I shouted out the changes and they played them like they had been playing the songs for years. It was amazing. A lady came up and asked Mike and Richie if we had CDs and they sold two to her. We booked a gig with these guys in June.

Hah, what a great night!!! I finally got home at 4:30 Am. Good times were had.

Archived