OT wireless routers

mrcrow

• Members

I prefer Belkin because it's usually less expensive and they have a lifetime warranty.

I would go with an N router simply for the greater range. I'd skip the N adapter for the other laptop. N has a higher throughput but the limiting factor is your internet connection which is MUCH slower than both G and N.

• Members

I would go with an N router simply for the greater range. I'd skip the N adapter for the other laptop. N has a higher throughput but the limiting factor is your internet connection which is MUCH slower than both G and N.

+1. We have 2 networks in the house, but we all connect to the N, even the G laptops. 4 Pc's and 1 Mac. We use an Apple timecapsule, with great success. (Only the mac uses the time capsule to backup. We have other external drives for the pcs)

(The other is my Linksys G we haven't taken down. It has way more bandwidth problems when we're all raping the internets than the apple)

• Members

The problem with N is that it is not a ratified standard yet. What this means is that even if you buy an N router, your N notebook may not connect at N speeds, but will drop to G. However, once they finally get around to ratifying it, there should be firmware updates that will resolve problems.

All I'm saying is that if you get the N router, don't expect your N computer to immediately start working at that speed.

As has already been said, G should be more than fast enough unless you have a T1 line run to your house for internet access. Most people don't have an ISP connection that's faster than 9 Mbps. I only have 6. So even G is faster that that.

• Members

solved...G it is...my internet connection is pretty slow at times

as for range...i think i can keep close to the router in the home

also it struck me..if i go out with the laptop and look for a wifi hotspot...it will probably be G?

• Members

solved...G it is...my internet connection is pretty slow at times

as for range...i think i can keep close to the router in the home

also it struck me..if i go out with the laptop and look for a wifi hotspot...it will probably be G?

Depends... If they're new to offering wifi, it'll be G. It's tough to find B routers anymore.

Archived