Fretting hand thumb

W33nie

• Members

I'm right handed and fret with my left hand. I position my thumb on the back of the neck, making a 90 degree angle.

Some times when I stay in one position and just though frets (playing triads in 8th notes at 120+ bpm), my thumb begins to hurt. What could I be doing wrong? Maybe the neck is just too big? I'll add higher gauge strings and get a professional set up if that could help

• Members

What hurts exactly? the muscles in the base of your thumb?

The problem is probably that you are cheating when playing quickly by stressing your hand. Your hand needs to be relaxed at all times.

• Members

What hurts exactly? the muscles in the base of your thumb?

The problem is probably that you are cheating when playing quickly by stressing your hand. Your hand needs to be relaxed at all times.

cheating? Yeah, i press down hard on quick parts, but otherwise i can't really fret well

• Members

cheating? Yeah, i press down hard on quick parts, but otherwise i can't really fret well

If you need to press that hard, your bass(es) probably need a proper setup with lower action. You can also try a lighter gauge of strings.

• Members

If you need to press that hard, your bass(es) probably need a proper setup with lower action. You can also try a lighter gauge of strings.

Yup, lower action will help and lower tension or more flexible strings will help. I have really low action and TI jazz rounds and I never get fatigued. It takes very little effort for me to fret.

• Members

The strings I have are very light, i fretted softer but it still felt a little sore.

I keep a pocket of air between my palm and the neck, but then i have to grip it harder. i don't want to hold the neck with my hand, but maybe i should shrink the pocket?

• Members

The strings I have are very light, i fretted softer but it still felt a little sore.

I keep a pocket of air between my palm and the neck, but then i have to grip it harder. i don't want to hold the neck with my hand, but maybe i should shrink the pocket?

Figure out what is comfortable and then play that way. I've had teachers tell me I have to do this, or that, but it all boils down to what feels comfortable to me.

• Members

You needn't anchor your thumb straight, the point of that guideline is that you shouldn't wrap your hand around the neck so that it becomes bent backwards (as if you were making push-ups). Try putting your thumb somewhere that doesn't hurt, keeping in mind what I just said.

Archived