Here is a movie I can't wait to....miss.

vanlatte

• Members

It will make $300-$400 million and everyone will gripe about it. ;)

I thought Deception Point would make the best movie, but I thought Digital Fortress would be the "easiest" movie to make (of his four books).

• Members

Glad to know I am not the only one. It was an interesting mystery type movie, beyond that I fail to see what the big effing deal was. I don't see myself watching this unless someone else pays to rent it and I get stuck at their place when they put it on.

• Members

The book "Angels and Demons" was actually quite good. Considerably better than "Da Vinci Code", IMO. (I know...that's not saying much)

Hmmm. I tried three times to read the Da Vinci Code and couldn't get past the first chapter. I have Angel and Demons sitting on my bookshelf from Andy's parent's. I'm out of stuff to read and was wondering if it would be worth the effort....

• Members

Hmmm. I tried three times to read the Da Vinci Code and couldn't get past the first chapter. I have Angel and Demons sitting on my bookshelf from Andy's parent's. I'm out of stuff to read and was wondering if it would be worth the effort....

if you disliked Da Vinci Code that much, I doubt you'll enjoy A & D. It reads very much the same; like all Brown's books. Very basic, not much character development.

I don't know how you feel about non-fiction, but the book I read recently that I'm currently recommending to everyone is "A Whole New Mind". I know it sounds an awfully lot like a self help book, but it's not. :D

• Members

I'm not proud to say that I read The Da Vinci Code. I just kept thinking that if everyone is fussing that much over a book, this is going to have to improve. I was wrong. What a sophomoric turd from front to back. I swore I wouldn't put another dime in that guy's pocket. I haven't seen the movie and I won't be seeing A&D's. A shame, really. I tend to like Tom Hanks.

• Members

I just kept thinking that if everyone is fussing that much over a book, this is going to have to improve.

I learned that lesson with "The Celestine Prophesy"

Dan Brown's books are, IMO, like trashy novels trying to gain legitimacy by loosely being connected with things that are sort of (but mostly not) true.

• Members

Lol, at least Hanks got a haircut and dropped 50lbs before shooting this time! :lol:

I can't begin to imagine the tubs of makeup it took to cover all his sweatin' during the first movie, which was utter {censored}e I might add.

• Members

Slightly Off Topic, but I'd love to see some of Sara Douglass' books made into movies. If they pumped as much money into the Axis trilogy and the Wayfarer Redemption as they did into Lord of The Rings, that would be some seriously epic sh*t.

• Members

Da Vinci Code was the very first book that I ever stopped reading midway; and I read a lot. About the time he started implicating Walt Disney in this wierd fantasy world I just threw my hands up; coulnd't stomach one more page. :facepalm:

Of course that didn't stop me from taking peeks at the movie, which was every bit as silly. :p

And every time I see the name Tebing it somehow registers as Teabag.

• Members

Haven't (and won't) read either book or watch either movie. If ya'll recollect, Brown made some outrageous claims as to the so-called historical content of his first book, as if the documents he was drawing on for his book were actually factual. Like a historical fiction, if you will. A friend of mine wrote a refutation of his novel and did quite well with it. I saw many people at the time of the first book really being sucked in to his novel, thinking that the background was true. His scholarship is laughable at best. At worst it's non-existent.

• Members

I don't understand the haters out there.

I find his books to be entertaining and in some cases, enlightening (including Digital Fortress). Fibonacci sequence/rose line/golden number just to name some.

A few interesting facts woven into a good story make for a good read.

Only thing I thought was over the top in AnD was (trying to avoid spoiler) how Langdon saves his life when he jumps out of the copter (not sure if it's in the movie or not. I'm referencing the book here)

• Members

I enjoyed both books. Brown has a disclaimer right at the front of DaVinci Code detailing what is taken from fact and what isn't; which is at least 90% of everything. I't a thriller novel, not history, not serious literature and not factual.

That said, the DaVinci Code movie sucked and Tom Hanks was a big part of that suckage. Director , Ron Howard says he learned from that movie and that Angels & Demons is better. I will likely catch it on DVD.

• Members

I enjoyed both books. Brown has a disclaimer right at the front of DaVinci Code detailing what is taken from fact and what isn't; which is at least 90% of everything. I't a thriller novel, not history, not serious literature and not factual.

The problem is that he gets hung up between the two. So the combination, to me, turns out to be a poorly-written fiction narrative randomly interrupted with abrupt, poorly-written text book excerpts.

• Members

That said, the DaVinci Code movie sucked and Tom Hanks was a big part of that suckage. Director , Ron Howard says he learned from that movie and that Angels & Demons is better. I will likely catch it on DVD.

Agreed. Book rocked, movie WAYYYY sucked. I would have been FURIOUS if I were Dan Brown.

Archived