One Of Our Clients Just Died In A Carwreck

RSBro

• Members

Im British and its second nature to put the seat belt on. Its something thats been the law in the UK for so long its simply accepted as normal.

Being here in Mexico its completely the opposite, the mexicans just dont wear them, I however insist they wear them if they are travelling in my car.

The funny thing about this is that everyone here was going nuts about the swine flu and wearing masks yet it was 4000 times more probable they would be killed in a car crash(that month) yet they dont wear seat belts and most everybody drinks and drives especially at the weekend.

I pointed out the ridiculous situation and the statistics and I got a shrug as a reply.

• Members

So was a ticket written for not wearing the belt?

Will the client's estate have to pay the ticket?

The sad thing is probably "Yes" to both of those answers, knowing the douchenozzles that are around these parts. :facepalm:

• Members

Are there times when not having a seat belt on has saved a life? Sure, but that's the extreme exception rather than the rule.

I wrecked a car where my buddy would have certainly been killed had he been wearing a belt, but I also strongly agree that scenarios like that are so rare that there is no sane arguement for not wearing the seat/shoulder belt. In my wreck, I flipped an 80's station wagon, and the roof was crushed over the passenger seat down to wear your hips normally are. If my friend hadn't fallen out of the seat to end up lying across the floor, he would have had his entire upper body crushed. I still can't believe neither of us were hurt in that crash, which was one of those times when I ended up getting home and thinking that by all rights I should be dead. Talk about a learning experience! Still, even with that there is no reason to not wear a belt.

• Members

*includes obligatory story of when a seatbelt would have caused fatality*

When my parents first got married, my mom had a Datsun. My dad drove it to work one day, and while taking a curve at about 60+, flipped the thing.

Wasn't wearing a seatbelt. The driver's seat snapped in half and he rolled into the back, as the front end of the car smashed in where he WOULD have been sitting had been belted in. While it's not certain that he would have died, the chances that he would have been seriously injured would have been increased.

BUT the story isn't over:

He crawled out of the wreck with barely a scratch and began walking to the nearest house to call the tow truck and a ride. About 2 feet from the door of the house, the owner tears out of there like his butt is on fire and nearly knocks my dad off the porch, getting about halfway to the road before he realizes my dad was standing on the porch. After asking my dad if he was alright about 20 times, my dad says "look dude, I'm FINE! I just need to use the phone".

The man complies and my dad calls the tow truck and his mom to come pick him up.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL:

The tow truck driver is under the car hooking up the chains when a HUGE ASS..... i mean, ASPHAULT truck comes barrelling around the curve.

So my dad yells at the tow truck driver to get out from under the car and out of the road cuz judging from the sounds of missed gears and brakes and whatnot, they were about to get hit. Fortunately the asphault truck swerves out of the way, just in time to miss my dad and the towtruck driver, (as well as coming within 5 feet of hitting the car that my dad's mother and sister were sitting in) and instead took out a utility pole and proceeded to flip over as well.

This caused the driver (who also wasnt wearing a seatbelt) to roll out of the broken windshield and on to a pile of hot asphault, which my dad had to subsequently drag him off of.

SO BASICALLY, my dad's careless driving destroyed a Datsun, a utility pole, an asphault truck (and load of asphault), and almost killed him, a tow truck driver, an asphault truck driver, my grandma, and my aunt.

Yet he walked away without a scratch because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt.

The asphault truck driver on the other hand... I don't know what happened to him.:idk:

but you can draw your own conclusions about seatbelts!:poke:

oh, and when my dad got home to explain to my mom what happened to her car, she said "do you know how many bedpans I had to empty out to get that car!!!???".... hahahah

(she was a nurse)

DISCLAIMER: this story has been told many times over the years, so certain facts may have been SLIGHTLY exaggerated. I wasn't there, so I don't know.

That being said, I always wear my seatbelt!

• Members

If you do not wear your seat belt, you deserve every ache and pain you get when you're thrown from your vehicle. And if you die, GOOD.

It is {censored}ing STUPID and impossible to argue it, aside from arrogance and stubbornness, to not wear your seat belt.

"But there's been people who got ejected and survived..."

And for every one time somebody gets lucky, there's TWENTY who WEREN'T lucky! You really wanna roll those odds?

Dude. You should invest in some sort of social filter. Saying "If you die, GOOD" in this particular thread is just bad form.:confused:

I know your point here, and I agree with you, but (and it's ironic that I say this) perhaps thinking before you speak sometimes isn't a bad thing.:poke:

I personally can't drive without a seat belt. It's like the car is hugging me.

• Members

Being here in Mexico its completely the opposite, the mexicans just dont wear them, I however insist they wear them if they are travelling in my car.

when you have 15 people packed into a car, there's not much room to move around. :badump:

• Members

Have worn my seatbelt faithfully since the day I started taking formal driving lessons, at age 16.

It's the law in my province of BC, not sure about the rest of Canada... probably is as well.

A few months back a friend gave me a spin in her restored '65 Mercedes coupe, and it didn't even have factory belts. I was so paranoid and looking forward to the ride being over that I forgot to enjoy the ride in that nice set of wheels.

• Members

If you do not wear your seat belt, you deserve every ache and pain you get when you're thrown from your vehicle. And if you die, GOOD.

It is {censored}ing STUPID and impossible to argue it, aside from arrogance and stubbornness, to not wear your seat belt.

"But there's been people who got ejected and survived..."

And for every one time somebody gets lucky, there's TWENTY who WEREN'T lucky! You really wanna roll those odds?

What about the people who die because they're stuck in their seat because of their seatbelt?

Archived