Too Much Gear: Ideas for thinning the heard...

Thunderbroom

• Members

With Summer coming up, me being in two bands, and the number of gigs increasing I was thinking that I really should get back to the basics.

With YFC, I don't need an amp and am set with my IEM/DI setup. Performing with KQ, I need an amp and have several. I will not sell the tube head that I have. I have both a GB Neopak and a GB 600. I'm thinking of selling both and getting either a ShuttleMax 6.0 or 12.0 and be done with it. I'll likely sell off the GB 112 cab since I never use it. I'll likely also ditch the Avatar 210 and 115H and be down to the GB 212 cab. I don't need more than that for any gig I'll play. I'm tempted to not even buy anything else and just use the Neopak and sell off the 600 for cash.

On the bass front, I can't see myself selling any of them though I have trouble justifying 10+ basses.

• Members

Given your situation, and your desire to trim down - I'd keep the Neo212, sell off everything else, and get a ShuttleMax 12.0... My thinking is, if you ever have the need or want to drive an additional cab, you'll be able to without any problems - and that would be a pretty versatile, easy to transport rig...

As for getting rid of any basses - that's just crazy talk...

- georgestrings

• Members

I like the idea of keeping the NeoPak and 212...that's what I have been using for about 2 years now (albeit a different 212) and it covers everything I need.

Tangentially related: Are you playing the duct tape base with KQ, or did you class it up a bit for her?

:D

• Members

Get rid of all your cabs except the 212.

TRADE IN those amps for a Shuttle 12.0.

Buy another 212 cab as a backup and a home/away setup so you don't need to lug cabs every practice, and if you do a big-ass show, you can run BOTH 212 cabs and be quite intimidating.

I'd also suggest having a backup amp. Even if it's just the mini Shuttle, it would be great to keep in the car tucked in a seat pocket, and always have it with you just in case someone {censored}s your rig up like a sound guy knocking your {censored} over.

Have a backup for everything, and make sure those backups are gear you like and WOULD want to take. That 115 will never do you justice, neither that 210. But an identical cab, that you already know you love the sound of....

• Members

I'm with you T-broom.

I've been paring things down, myself (as you can see in my sig).

My gig rig is the Markbass CMD121P, the Burdi 1x12, bass, tuner, two cables. Sometimes the Senn.

I've gotten rid of a bunch of basses.

The GBE 600 and the Carvin PB300 / 2x15 (never thought I'd let that go).

I still have a few basses to move and a well worn Super Redhead that just ain't getting any love.

• Members

Keep me in mind if you want to dump the GB 112.
:thu:

I know the feeling Jeff. I've pared down all my {censored} to the Neopak, the GB 212, and my Dr. Bass 210. Along with only a decent 5 string and 4 string. Feels good!

Make me an offer and let's arrange a place to meet.

• Members

I did the same thing bro. Went from over 30 basses and 5+ rigs down to a fretted 5, fretless 5, and fretted 4, and one rig. Also 3 electric guitars (2 floyded one hardtail) and an acoustic and one 1/2 stack.

I put the extra $$$$ into my studio.

It's fun having a ton of gear and lots of basses to choose from, but it's more fun having the extra gear for the studio.

• Members

I think it is foolish to sell Neopaks at 350. It's a whole lot of amp @ 350 bucks.

I'd ditch the GBE-600 and get another Neopak as a backup.

I'm not gonna buy a another class d + smps superlight amp until {censored} settles down and they stop putting all new models out every year -- ridiculous how fast it's changing now.

• Members

Since you always play out T-Broom, I would keep two heads and two cabs. If it's a money thing than do what I did and keep one good head (that you really like) and keep another, cheaper backup head in the car. Maybe go with one 212 cab and one single 12" cab.

• Members

Since you always play out T-Broom, I would keep two heads and two cabs. If it's a money thing than do what I did and keep one good head (that you really like) and keep another, cheaper backup head in the car. Maybe go with one 212 cab and one single 12" cab.

My thought as well, redundancy always. Never leave yourself one and only one piece of the chain. At some point every piece of gear will fail at a critical moment, and you need to have a backup.

• Members

I am set for rigs, it's basses that I should sell. I've got a lot of nice lumber and it's getting hard to evacuate it all during hurricane season.

The basses come in handy for recording, though. It's nice to try different ones to find the one that sounds "right" for the situation.

Archived