The right way to fill in an otherwise boring song

db.

• Members

I came across this video and started to analyze Mac's bass lines. Brilliant. With out Paul, this would be a boring, mundane tune. This is an example of how integral Sir Paul was to the Beatles. And I'm a huge Lennon fan. Enjoy. And analyze...

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• CMS Author

I was also going to post that Something is not a boring or mundane song without the bass line. It's incredibly well-written, the flow is impeccable, and the guitar work both flawless and inspiring!!

Edit: anecdotal stuff: Harrison wrote it, and he objected to Macca's bass line, thinking it too busy. Ironical, huh?

• CMS Author

When my band covered it, my drummer simply could not play the opening drum sequence. At all. I can't play drums for {censored}, and *I* could do it, and showed him, and he'd {censored} it up totally. Couldn't get the tom-bassbass, tom-bassbass, floor thing into his head.

Every time we played it, he'd do something different, and nobody knew WTF we were playing until the vocals started.:rolleyes::lol:

• Members
^I don't really get that quote... I mean, sometimes Paul hangs back, but he can be note-y as {censored}. Not really in a soloing way tho, I guess. Just as a bassline. But there ain't nothin' wrong w/ that!

It doesn't make it necessarily good though. :idk: :idk:

Coming from arguably the best rock bassist evar, it's pretty damn funny. :lol:

• Members
It doesn't make it necessarily good though.
:idk:
:idk:

Coming from arguably the best rock bassist evar, it's pretty damn funny.
:lol:

Really, huh. I dunno. Apples and oranges, I guess. I never really got into The Who, but I would still definitely rate McCartney above Entwhistle.

• Members

Really, huh. I dunno. Apples and oranges, I guess. I never really got into The Who, but I would still definitely rate McCartney above Entwhistle.

That's because you're dumb. :poke::poke:

• Members
That's because you're dumb. :poke::poke:

I just think he's wanky. The Beatles actual SONGS are alot stronger, so when you put a sweet melodic, harmonically supportive bassline under them they just SHINE. Maybe this needs to be taken to a poll... ;)

• Members
I just think he's wanky. The Beatles actual SONGS are alot stronger, so when you put a sweet melodic, harmonically supportive bassline under them they just SHINE. Maybe this needs to be taken to a poll...
;)

Who's talking about songs? Nobody. I think both of the actual bands are pretty "meh", but John E. crushes that freaking hippie any day, all day on 4 strings.

• Members

Who's talking about songs? Nobody. I think both of the actual bands are pretty "meh", but John E. crushes that freaking hippie any day, all day on 4 strings.

I agree, but Paul's still a better musician.

• Members

If by "better musician" you mean "bigger weenie", then yes...
;)

Nah... Better writer, better instrumentalist (apart from bass), helluva better vocalist.

Ahh... Are you so angry today after what happened last night? :poke:

• Members
Nah... Better writer, better instrumentalist (apart from bass), helluva better vocalist.

I donno... Like I said I find both of their own and their band's music pretty meh so I really don't know. :)

h-f stepped to the bass confrontation and I put him down. :thu:

Archived