Talar du svenska? Himla!

ec437

• Members

Do you mean the word "himla"? In that case you got it wrong. It doesn't mean "terrific" or even "awful". The modern usage of the word is in the meaning of "very", as in "very good" (himla bra). Most often it is used in describing something positive, and almost never in the meaning of something bad. As in "very bad" (mycket d

• Members

I must agree with Don MC. Now, my main language ain't swedish, but some Norwegian dialects are pretty darn close, and "himla" is used in many dialects spoken in the western part of our country, and all contexts I can think off expresses surprise (like WOW! or Huh!?), or some variation of "very".

Also, I agree with him in that it's derived from the word "himmel", wich means heaven (which is also used in my dialect, although very rarely (such language that is only seen in poor comics from the 80's, much like your "gee golly". Noone really talks like that). To understand this, you must understand that dialects in our part of the world can vary wildly (to the extent that we might not understand what one another is saying if one has a poor understanding of dialects), much due to the fact that the different parts (I'm talking regions, not countries) have been pretty much isolated up until the 50's).

• Members

I must agree with Don MC. Now, my main language ain't swedish, but some Norwegian dialects are pretty darn close, and "himla" is used in many dialects spoken in the western part of our country, and all contexts I can think off expresses surprise (like WOW! or Huh!?), or some variation of "very".

Also, I agree with him in that it's derived from the word "himmel", wich means heaven (which is also used in my dialect, although very rarely (such language that is only seen in poor comics from the 80's, much like your "gee golly". Noone really talks like that). To understand this, you must understand that dialects in our part of the world can vary wildly (to the extent that we might not understand what one another is saying if one has a poor understanding of dialects), much due to the fact that the different parts (I'm talking regions, not countries) have been pretty much isolated up until the 50's).

Yeah... another translation is "celestial".

You know, you don't have to explain these things. I know more about scandinavia than you seem to think :D

• Members

Yeah. And I must point out that it is an informal word. Some dialects use it more than others. I myself use it very rarely. I speak a swedish dialect that is used in the south of Finland. It can be described as sort of formal, with almost no words that can't be found in an official dictionary. The pronounciation differs somewhat from the swedish spoken in Sweden, but we can fully understand each other. It's almost like British english and American english.

But further north, in a part of the country called Ostrobothnia, in the city of N

• Members

Yeah. And I must point out that it
is
an informal word. Some dialects use it more than others. I myself use it very rarely. I speak a swedish dialect that is used in the south of Finland. It can be described as sort of formal, with almost no words that can't be found in an official dictionary. The pronounciation differs somewhat from the swedish spoken in Sweden, but we can fully understand each other. It's almost like British english and American english.

But further north, in a part of the country called Ostrobothnia, in the city of N

• Members

The pronounciation differs somewhat from the swedish spoken in Sweden, but we can fully understand each other. It's almost like British english and American english.

You're assuming we can fully understand the Brits? :D

• Members
Do you mean the word "himla"? In that case you got it wrong. It doesn't mean "terrific" or even "awful". The modern usage of the word is in the meaning of "very", as in "very good" (himla bra). Most often it is used in describing something positive, and almost never in the meaning of something bad. As in "very bad" (mycket d

• Members

So, bras are heavenly good.

I think you're on to something.

At least, what's inside them can be heavenly...

Bra means good, fine as in Bare bra = just fine.

If you want to discuss the the thing that holds the things that hold your attention the word is "brysteholder"

Din tufts, hvordan leve du?

• Members

Yeah... another translation is "celestial".

You know, you don't have to explain these things. I know more about scandinavia than you seem to think
:D

And how the hell am I supposed to know that ? :D I just naturally assume that everyone I talk to are idiots (or ignorant at the very least), and take it from there. I do like it when people prove me wrong, although they usually don't.:thu:

Archived