Help choosing a bass preamp/DI

PnKnG

• Members

So I'm going to get a bass preamp/DI to go direct into my recording interface for recording.

Question is which one?

In my search I have come down to:

MXR M80 Bass DI+

or

Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI

Which one is better?

I'm also open for other suggestions in the same price class.

• Members

There's alot of good stuff out there. There's also some not so good stuff. Alot IMO depends on your application. Obviously what features you will need or use is important. As far as myself I use a Sansamp RBI. I dig it. It give me a cool tone. I also use the DI (Sansamp out) as a 3rd channel.

• Members

For recording, I wouldn't use either the M-80 or the Sansamp. I'd just get a quality DI like the Countryman or a Radial JDI.

You have tone shaping options within the recording software, so you're better off just sending a clean, unaffected bass signal to the interface.

• Members

I'm really only looking to get clean, dirty or a blend of both recorded. No fancy effects or anything. Also if I'm not totally wrong most DAWs only have effects but not stuff like distortion on it so I would need to buy a pedal or a VST anyway than. also I have seen band like In Flames that just DI the bass with a distortion before the DI directly into the DAW. I just don't want to borther with an amp since guitar is my main instrument.

• Members

If you're looking to get a DI with distortion on the cheap, then a Sansamp is probably the way to go. I have an M-80 and it's not bad, but I just replaced it with a dedicated distortion pedal and separate DI for my live rig.

Archived