SFOTINEF: Chainsaws

sludgebass69

• Members

(So Far Off Topic It's Not Even Funny);)

Time for a real chain saw, no more "homeowner" $200 pieces of crap. My little old Craftsman finally gave up the ghost yesterday and I had to borrow the neighbors almost new Poulan "Pro" (ha) ........what a piece of crap.

Do I go with this:

husqvarna-455-rancher-H110-0115-400x300-
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landowner/products/chainsaws/455-rancher/

or this:

MS310.gif
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS310.html

I'm leaning towards the Husky at this point, but Stihl is the industry standard.

• Members

I use Echo's and they've held up very well compared to several others. I've heard great stuff about the Husqvarnas but haven't owned one. DON'T buy a Poulan, we went thought 5 of them after IKE, they rarely made it though one good sized tree before biting the dust.

• Members

I have not used the husky but can fully recommend the Stihl.

I used to be a silviculturist And would use mine all day 5days a week for months at a time .

Never had a single problem with it .

*EDIT* And never saw with the tip.

I know a couple of people that are not so pretty anymore from doing this .

• Members

My ship moved down to Mobile Alabama, 1979, to go into the yards for major overhaul. Yeah. Two days after Hurricane Frederick hit. Man did I get some chainsaw experience!

I'd say either from what I saw. If you were going to be doing much big tree work, I'd suggest a larger bow chain saw. But for "home", either, in the longest blade and biggest motor you are comfortable with.

I have yet to see someone rue about spending a little too much on something better. I've seen many, including myself, bitch forever wishing they'd dropped just a little more on the next model. With that in mind, get the best of either that you really like.

I know, not much help.

Time for another Eddie Fitz Porter.

:)

• Members
*EDIT*
And never saw with the tip

I know a couple of people that are not so pretty anymore from doing this .

Take it from this man, don't just use the tip, use the whole tool when working it, otherwise it might not go so well. :eek:

• Members
Come on, the Husky is the fat girl that will do a little more for your attention. Giver her a run. I promise your friends won't make fun of you for it.
:thu:

Never gone to bed with a Husky.......woke up with a few though.....:facepalm:

• Members

Pro loggers in Oregon run Husky far more than any other saw in the woods. By our yardstick, Husky sets the standard. They're also popular with farms and ranches.

As far as using the tip, I learned how to bore in high school using a saw. There is a technique, and yes, there is risk if you aren't prudent. Don't do it if you don't know what you're doing, but for someone who knows saws every part of the saw bar is useable. I also learned how to set chokers in high school. :)

• Members

I used to do foresty work for a conservation corps a few years ago. I ran stihls and huskys quite a bit. huskys in general have a higher power to weight ratio while I find stihls are way easier to maintain. if your going to be running it alot AND doing your own maintenance get the stihl. if your gonna take it to a shop, get the husky. can't really go wrong with either one, they're both great machines.

• Members

I used to do foresty work for a conservation corps a few years ago. I ran stihls and huskys quite a bit. huskys in general have a higher power to weight ratio while I find stihls are way easier to maintain. if your going to be running it alot AND doing your own maintenance get the stihl. if your gonna take it to a shop, get the husky. can't really go wrong with either one, they're both great machines.

Power:weight ratio makes sense. Pro fallers have no interest in lugging one more ounce than necessary up and down our mountains. They're already carrying saw gas, oil, axe and wedges up and down grades that give mountain goats problems. And pros are most likely to use shops. When you're in the woods or commuting to and from, your days get out into the 12-20 hour realm. It gets real ugly. There's not much time to be wrenching on your own saws anyway.

Archived