Your Sound Check Lick/Riff?!

moogieotter

• Members

straight open E quarter notes with slap/thumb and then fingers tells me everythng I need to know. Soundmen also appreciate this

Is'nt it amazing how you can play sophisticated and difficult walks and no one notices, but slap out the easiest groove and people's heads spin.

:cool:

same with guitar: Chuck Berry licks turn heads faster than Yngwie Malmsteen speed noodling

• Members

We were jacking around in practice one day and came up with a goofy intro song. It's a few measures of us all playing a certain riff, then there's a measure for a little solo part, and we rotate through it.

• Members

I quickly run through Iron Maiden's Invaders (such a wicked song for a bassist), Blitzkrieg as performed by MetallicA, and Dream Theater's The Mirror, ending riff so they know I'll be rumbling the really low end.

• Members

I just play something simple on the E and A string so the soundman can dial in a good tone. Once they have that dialed in, I play something a little more complicated and little higher up. I eventually do a small amount of slap stuff to see if they need to add some compression.

• Members

straight open E quarter notes with slap/thumb and then fingers tells me everythng I need to know. Soundmen also appreciate this

+1

I hate when my band overplays in soundcheck. And after soundcheck, silently check tuning and wait!

• Members

Otherwise it's "Crush" by DMB. I always liked that lick.

Great lick. :thu:

I don't have a special riff that I reserve for soundcheck-I usually just play a little walking line to make sure that I'm loud enough, and that the soundman has signal. I reserve anything more for when we start the gig.

Archived