NBD: the 40$ project bass!

Jart

• Members

Long time reader, first time poster! (heh)

I just swooped up a barebones functional Squier Affinity P bass today for 40 dollars. Of course this bass isn't anything fancy, but it works! I've been wanting to get my feet wet and doing some mods and this bass seems like the perfect bass to do it, since if i screw something up badly i wont beat myself up too much.

The #1 thing I really want to do is a defret, but i've never done anything like this before of course. I've seen posts by others who've done it, but my main question is, what is that chemical stuff that people use to fill the fret gaps??

I'm also going to refinish it, but I think i've got that process covered with all the resources i've found by googling and whatnot.

I'm not expecting some fancy end product out of this, but if its playable i'd be pretty excited.

Anyways... hello everyone!

• Members

hey jart.....

whats shaking.

some people use wood putty for filling in the lines, but in my experience that could become dry and crumbly over time....

best to use some kind of wooden veneer. You can get the exact veneer you need at a hobby or modeling shop.

more specifically, they have exactly what you want at the hooby shop on geary blvd and 25th in San Francisco.

415 386 2802 i believe is the number.

the reason i know that is because it is only one number away from my old phone number in SF and i used to get calls for them all the time.

Anyway... they have these wooden veneers in different thicknesses that are absolutely perfect.

• Members

$40, go big if you screw it up who cares! Removing frets, go slow, getting impatient usually means taking a chunk out of the fretboard whoops

I used Elmer's Wood Putty. $5 at Walmart. I'd squirt some out on a paper plate, fill it in using a toothpick, wipe the board with a warm wet rag to remove any putty that accidentally got on the board, let it fully dry, round 2, if needed, then hit the whole thing with 1000 grit sandpaper. Then I'll grab a cotton swab and hit it with a few light coats of Formby's Satin Finish Tung Oil. ($5 for more than you'll ever use at Home Depot) hit it again with 1000 grit.

And for $10 you'll have a ghetto fretless. If you want it to look pretty, wood veneer is nice.

• Members

What kind of wood is the body made from? Some of those were supposed to be basswood and some were alder I believe.

that's a good question. when i strip the paint off i'll know... i'm not expecting it to look pretty. i guess as long as it's made out of sawdust and glue!

Archived