whic is your favorite Duran Duran bass line?

T. Alan Smith

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Rio

Same here, although I often wonder what they would have sounded like with a rhythm section that wasn't quite so busy. I realize that was part of their sound, but I have to wonder if it wouldn't have been more enjoyable with more groove and less wank.

• Members

Same here, although I often wonder what they would have sounded like with a rhythm section that wasn't quite so busy. I realize that was part of their sound, but I have to wonder if it wouldn't have been more enjoyable with more groove and less wank.

...and Rio, the album, sounds stripped down compared to Seven and the Ragged Tiger. BOY is THAT bizzay ...but inspiring as hell! :D

• Members

The line in Rio is busy, but you never really notice it because it works with the rest of the song so well. It's not flash for the sake of flash, it just plain works. I'm just wondering how it would have sounded with a less coked out rhythm section. Probably like Men At Work. ;)

• Members

The line in Rio is busy, but you never really notice it because it works with the rest of the song so well. It's not flash for the sake of flash, it just plain works. I'm just wondering how it would have sounded with a less coked out rhythm section. Probably like Men At Work.
;)

Oh, man... we prolly would never have heard of Duran Duran. :lol: Simon's lyrics only made sense in that web. I'll tell ya- I'd love to hear it all acoustic though; two hand percussionists, John & Andy on acoustic guitars.

Nick would have to learn how to play. :D

• Moderators
I'm not sure...

My favorite song is Ordinary World. I love that intro melody thing...

Ordinary World is a fantastic song. They had a lineup change about that point. The new guitarist was on board and I can't remember if there was a new drummer for that album, too?

• Members

Ordinary World is a fantastic song. They had a lineup change about that point. The new guitarist was on board and I can't remember if there was a new drummer for that album, too?

Yeah, both. Warren CooKoorillo from Missing Persons played guitar on that one,

• Members

Too many to choose from. John Taylor is pretty much the reason I started playing bass.

Some of my favs (chronologically... of course):

Girls On Film

Careless Memories

Night Boat

Sound Of Thunder

Rio

New Religion

Last Chance on the Stairway

Of Crime and Passion

Shadows On Your Side

Tiger Tiger

Hold Me

So Misled

Hothead

First Impression

Can You Deal With It?

Venice Drowning

It's hard to not just about put everything from 1981-1990 on that list.

The album "Liberty" is loaded with 5 string greatness. Almost every single track on that album has an awesome bassline ("First Impression" has such a cool stacatto, syncopated line). I used to tune my four string down to B,E,A,D (before I had a 5 string) just so I could play along with that album. The Arcadia side project (Simon, Nick, Roger) has some brilliant bass work. Alot of it played by Sting. Amazing fretless playing on that album. Sounds like an octaver was used on a few of those tracks (esp. the track "Missing") and it just sounds otherworldly. I thought it was synth when I was a young'n, but it's definitely fretless. I kind of lost touch with DD after Liberty (1990). The bass playing (and the way it was mixed) on the 1993 album and beyond just doesn't really seem to be as present and, IMO, the synths became progressively bland from that point on which were the two main elements that made me love DD.

I think the song that sums it up the best as far as the whole DD formula at it's best would probably be "Rio". And it's probably the bass line he's most known for.

Archived