Trace Eliot noisy fan, On/off switch?

Andri

• Members

Hi bass players united,

II've got a trace elliot ah150 which it sounds quite nice with the trace elliot 2X10" cab + 15" cab but the noise produced by the fan is problematic when I'm recording so I've been thinking...

I could put an on/off switch in the back to stop the noise just while recording but I would need advice:

Is it safe to have it off for a while, say 10 minutes? (I don't play that loud and it's only 150 watts)

How do I open it? :rolleyes:

Any chance of finding a service manual somewhere?

Cheers folks!

• Members

Hi bass players united,

II've got a trace elliot ah150 which it sounds quite nice with the trace elliot 2X10" cab + 15" cab but the noise produced by the fan is problematic when I'm recording so I've been thinking...

I could put an on/off switch in the back to stop the noise just while recording but I would need advice:

Is it safe to have it off for a while, say 10 minutes? (I don't play that loud and it's only 150 watts)

How do I open it?
:rolleyes:

Cheers folks!

Scrounge around online for manuals, I guess.

As far as an on/off switch, it would be fairly simple to do if you are comfortable/knowledgeable enough to be poking around inside your amp. I would think it would be fine running for a little while at recording levels with the fan off.

• Members

Hi bass players united,

How do I open it?
:rolleyes:

Cheers folks!

haha... bass players united... that's a good one.

In regards to your question though.... I personally wouldnt recommend a fan switch. I play through a 300W TE head from time to time, and a while back the fan circuit was damage and the fan stopped working.

After playing for a while at half volume or so, the amp would overheat and the signal would start to cut out.

If mics are picking up the fan noise, I would just move the fan away from the mics. You MIGHT be able to get away with recording with the fan off for extended periods of time, but it's there for a reason: to keep things cool.

Even if the thermal switch doesnt engage, your still going to heat up your circuit board/transistors/IC's etc... more than they would be with the fan continually running.

This is more than likely going to reduce their life quite a bit more than if they were being cooled properly.

One thing you might consider is switching the fan out for a quieter one. (OR cleaning the old one out)

Sometimes they just get noisy due to dirt or age. You might have to experiment a little bit. Just make sure you replace the fan with one of like specifications. (Assuming you can find a quieter replacement)

I'm pretty sure the fan leads are attached with screw down terminals.

• Members

One thing you might consider is switching the fan out for a quieter one. (OR cleaning the old one out)

Sometimes they just get noisy due to dirt or age. You might have to experiment a little bit. Just make sure you replace the fan with one of like specifications. (Assuming you can find a quieter replacement).....

this too!

Archived