Little Problem With My Bass

Emerica167852

• Members

So ive noticed, ever since i got it, my american pbass has had a little bow in the neck. probly more than i want too. ive tried to fix it. doesnt really work. so idk i just had it detuned for a few days and i look at the neck and its perfectly straight. then i tuned it back up and theres a bow. it kinda makes sense because of the tension. but just wondering if this is normal. also what i can do to fix the bow.

• Members

judging by your question you may need to get a guitar shop to do the relatively simple job of tightening the truss rod

you do need some bow so the strings dont sizzle on the frets when playing open and low notes on each string..up to 7th fret etc

wait for an avalanche of advice

cheers

• Members

Could be that your truss rod was just really loose? You are turning the nut to the right I assume (when looking down at it)

Try a couple quarter turns at first. You should notice at least SOME difference if your truss rod is still functional. You should also feel a slight bit of tension on the trussrod nut as you turn it.

When getting closer to where you need to be, try 1/8th turns.

Just becareful not to over tighted and break your trussrod.

• Members

tightening the truss rod should work relatively quickly. I bet it was too loose to begin with and you haven't turned it to a point where it is actually straightening the neck, do a 1/4 turn wait an hour and do another, repeat this but STOP if it becomes hard to turn.

*it is also best to loosen the strings ever so slightly before each turn when tightening a truss rod.

*NOTE: American P-bass = DON"T DO ANYTHING CRAZY

• Members

How much of a bow?

Well, first, tune the bass to where you play it. Then:

Pinch down the strings at the first fret, and at the same time, at the 13th fret. In the middle, about the 5th or 6th fret, there should be about .030" to .040" clearance between the strings and fret. Some people like a little less, some a little more. But that's a good place to start.

If you need more bow, loosen the truss rod.

If you need less, tighten the truss rod.

• Moderators

if i got a truss rod with the insert by the pickup and not the headstock. which direction do i turn it to tighten/reduce bow. vice versa

It's a screw. You turn it clockwise to tighten and counter-clockwise to loosen.

The only way to know whether you have too much or too little bow in the neck is to play it. If you can make the strings buzz with equal playing force all along the neck, you're good. If it is easier to make the strings buzz by the nut (1st-3rd frets), you need more relief, so you must loosen the truss rod. If it is easier to make the strings buzz above the 12th fret, you need to flatten the neck by tightening the truss rod.

Archived