Tension In Falsetto.

LordBTY

• Members

Right. So I just signed up to this forum.

Though I have a pretty strong falsetto, I get a lot of throat tension.

And maybe sometimes jaw tension.

Jaw tension is something I'm working on, but is this throat tension normal for falsetto?

----

TomM

• Members

Right. So I just signed up to this forum.

Though I have a pretty strong falsetto, I get a lot of throat tension.

And maybe sometimes jaw tension.

Jaw tension is something I'm working on, but is this throat tension normal for falsetto?

----

TomM

Falsetto,like high notes should resonate off the head cavities, should not be a product of throat anything.

Sounds like you are throat singing a falsetto......just a guess....idk:

Though it's fairly normal for newer singers to lean toward closing the throat while singing.

Pavroti was asked once how he learned to relax his throat...."Ten years"

was the response.

:lol:

• Members

Falsetto,like high notes should resonate off the head cavities, should not be a product of throat anything.

Sounds like you are throat singing a falsetto......just a guess....idk:

Though it's fairly normal for newer singers to lean toward closing the throat while singing.

Pavroti was asked once how he learned to relax his throat...."Ten years"

was the response.

:lol:

Hehe lol ;p

I've tried relaxing my throat to the full extent in chest voice... and I can't seem to get the strainy, nasaly, belty, contemporary sound im going for. It's pretty difficult without having my larynx at speaking height.

Though, I've never had a problem with throat tension in chest/low-belt voice.

Will a relaxed throat inhibit the sound I'm going for at all?

When I say nasaly, I mean occasionally verging on Amy Winehouse, but with a whiny tone... + maybe a bit of 'bel canto' stylings in the middle (this is when I CAN AND DO relax my throat.)

----

TomM

EDIT: Wait, looked into it. You're SUPPOSED to raise you're larynx when belting. Disputabley dangerous too. Then again... can't be much worse than pseudo-screaming.... right?

EDIT2: Looked into it a little more. Are you thinking I meant head voice? Because I can relax my throat in head voice... but as soon as I try falsetto my larynx shoots right up there.

• Members

My sugestion: Raise Your Voice, Second Edition. by Jaime Vendera

http://www.thevoiceconnection.com

With the book, you will get a password to his web forum as well as audio files you can download to train with and videos and interviews with various pro singers and vocal instructors.

Jaime has developed what he calls the Vocal Stress Relief program which completely relaxed all of the muscles in the throat as well as using exercises to strengthen the muscles of the throat. His program is based on taking falsetto and using it to be able to sing in full voice in that range.

It worked wonders for me.

• Members

Hehe lol ;p

I've tried relaxing my throat to the full extent in chest voice... and I can't seem to get the strainy, nasaly, belty, contemporary sound im going for. It's pretty difficult without having my larynx at speaking height.

Though, I've never had a problem with throat tension in chest/low-belt voice.

Will a relaxed throat inhibit the sound I'm going for at all?

When I say nasaly, I mean occasionally verging on Amy Winehouse, but with a whiny tone... + maybe a bit of 'bel canto' stylings in the middle (this is when I CAN AND DO relax my throat.)

----

TomM

EDIT: Wait, looked into it. You're SUPPOSED to raise you're larynx when belting. Disputabley dangerous too. Then again... can't be much worse than pseudo-screaming.... right?

EDIT2: Looked into it a little more. Are you thinking I meant head voice? Because I can relax my throat in head voice... but as soon as I try falsetto my larynx shoots right up there.

Just my own experience here Tom, but I totally gave up a few years ago on even thinking about my larynx ,up down sideways in out nada.

Same as throat only that's more recent, I don't even know I have one when I sing .

I'm not saying you are trying to manipulate your larynx position, just my thoughts on it.

Do you already have a nice ring to your head voice, are your spaces open can you bring on a natural vibrato ?

You're right , I did slip into talking about resonance instead of falsetto, it's hard for me not to ...:lol: Not sure why.

I try to maintain whatever I'm doing with my resonance spaces in regular singing with the falsetto as well , I think it helps me to stay away from falling into throat singing, and seems to allow my falsetto to actually free up and work better than the old way.

I guess when I think about falsetto for me, falsetto does have something to do with diff throat feelings, I think I slightly push forward while maintaining what I said above.

If I have it right, falsetto doesn't lock your cords together as tightly as regular singing , if that's the case , more air is passing through.

As a side note, you don't want to use more air in general singing thinking it equals more volume, though it will add some volume it should only be used in emergency cases, otherwise it will ruin your voice if used as a general method of attaining higher volumes.

Resonance = Volume not 'tons' of air pressure, you probably know this, but just in case....:idk:

Back to the larynx once more, if it isn't doing what you want, the right method of manipulating it is through signals it recieves from getting set up well, but you should be leary of anyone telling you to control it directly and overly so, too much pressure on the cords in this fashion can bring damage.

Like I said the larynx position for me takes care of itself, along with so many other things.

Consume posted a link to some lessons that may be helpful, I have not tried any of them.

:wave:

Archived