String advice

giliad

• Members

Well new strings it is. We talked during lunch today and I asked him if he could just transpose instead of retuning. He said he could do that but there are a couple songs where he will need that open string.

• Members

Well new strings it is. We talked during lunch today and I asked him if he could just transpose instead of retuning. He said he could do that but there are a couple songs where he will need that open string.

I think you're making the right call there - he'll be just fine with heavier strings, and *maybe* a little minor setup work...

- georgestrings

• Members

I confess, i used to tune my 5 ($400 fender jazz bass) a 1/2 step down with the original/cover band i was in for 8 years or so. Never had a problem with that bass. The guitars would switch between drop and standard, each a 1/2 step down though. We played a variety of genres. Everything from metal to reggae to classic rock. So i usually just learned everthing in one tuning, just for my own convenience, a bit of a compromise. When recording originals we would tune appropriately, for that open note sound, and hammer ons and such....

• Members

I think with a proper setup, a set like this would tune down a half step just fine on a 5er:

.130-.45 DR Lo Rider set

Done. We actually put together a set, buying single strings from Just Strings. We followed the gauges for the Lo Riders and went .005" bigger on each string.

It did require some setup but it needed that anyway. It sounds great and he could tune down a lot further than 1/2 step if needed.

• Members

Done. We actually put together a set, buying single strings from Just Strings. We followed the gauges for the Lo Riders and went .005" bigger on each string.

It did require some setup but it needed that anyway. It sounds great and he could tune down a lot further than 1/2 step if needed.

I'm glad you found a solution.

My band tunes a half step down too. I setup my bass for the tuning, and I'm currently using DR Nickel-Plated Lo Riders which seem to have plenty of tension to still feel great tuned down. I'm using 45-100 gauges.

Archived