Sign in to follow this  
Helderius

Fender Highway one Precision versus Classic 50s

Hey Helderius...welcome to the board.

I never met a Hiway1 bass that I didn't just love. Everyone I've played in a store just felt great as a player and had the tone I like.

The 50s basses have a smaller radius fingerboard which I do not like. If you find the neck comfortable, I could also recommend a 50s bass.

a P bass is always appropriate...good choice....c-d

:wave:

Everything C-D said. I believe the Highway One has a nitro finish, too, which is a bit old-school. It's less durable than poly, but looks better imo.

I have 2, of the first gen. Hwy 1's. They are great basses, probablly better now with the 2nd gen., as they have upgraded the bridge
:thu:

This. I want to upgrade the bridge on my jazz, I have an older one and like BAII's, so need to change it.

Welcome aboard!

Actually, I prefer the 50's style feel. But like CD said, it's mighty hard to go wrong with a P bass.

No complaints about mine. I picked it up at GC for 350 or 400 I think.

4967fix_edited-1.jpg

Of course I don't play it that often as I am concerned about my professionalism so I play a fiver 98% of the time.

No complaints about mine. I picked it up at GC for 350 or 400 I think.

4967fix_edited-1.jpg

Of course I don't play it that often as I am concerned about my professionalism so I play a fiver 98% of the time.

So sexy. So good.

The one of those that I played a while back kicked the pants off of the new American Standard Series P-bass that I tried out, especially for the $$. As far as the HW1 series goes, I am not overly impressed with my HW1 Tele versus my American Series Tele. Still a nice guitar for the money, though.

Hello everyone!

Thanks for your answers,

What i would lilke to know is if the sound and the hardware (quality wise) are that much different.

I

I can't compare with the Mexican one, as I 've never played it, but I think mine has the Mex keys. The Badass is great, fit and finish are really good, great tone and resonance, thought the tone knob is different on the two, that I know. I bought mine because it resonates like hell, is light, the C neck is comfy, it records really well. A session with the Fender/Meguire polish kit helped shine it up quite a bit. I originally toyed with the idea of spraying a clear coat, but settled on a tort guard, instead.

Often when comparing two similar basses by the same company, the correct answer is yes.

Either bass will do just fine. The differences between the two are minimal. Personal taste is the only strong variable in this situation.

Either bass will do just fine. The differences between the two are minimal. Personal taste is the only strong variable in this situation.

i wouldnt say minimal. the HW1 (new ones) have a nitro finish, upgraded hardware, better quality pickups, etc.

well if everyone else is showing off their HWY1s i guess i have to include mine. do i get extra motown mojo points?
:lol:

2q2fz2u.jpg

Nice!

I won't be showing off my jazz. I've showed it here before, and it tends to cause a lot of butt hurt. :(

It's a HEAVY relic now, but a good one IMO.

thanks d00de.

i say do what you want. it was ment to replace something that someone scumbagged you out of so who cares what others think. that is really a shame you dont have that original one anymore tho. :cry:

Hello everyone!

Thanks for your answers,

What i would lilke to know is if the sound and the hardware (quality wise) are that much different.

I

I WILL own one of these, soon.

It will be my X-MAS present.

Currently I'm playing an MIM P bass: I want something with a slightly more stable neck and good fretwork past the 14th fret.

I've noticed that MIM's all have funky fretwork on or around the 16th fret: I've played 3 different ones and they all have the exact same issue (buzzing: frets aren't level in that area)

It seems that Fender sandbags the MIM series that way: check it out yourself.

Hopefully HWY1 has good fretwork, or it'll be a no go for me.

Hello everyone!

Thanks for your answers,

I

For a Retro Motown sound, the highway 1 P would be better. Get flatwound strings, a rosewood neck and you will get a more bootyliscious tone. The 50s single coil stuff will sound more midrangy and punchy escpecially if it has a maple neck.

FYI - the Classic 50s is a split-coil model. I believe it's modeled after the '57.

1.jpg