Fender Highway one Precision versus Classic 50s

Helderius

• Members

Hey Helderius...welcome to the board.

I never met a Hiway1 bass that I didn't just love. Everyone I've played in a store just felt great as a player and had the tone I like.

The 50s basses have a smaller radius fingerboard which I do not like. If you find the neck comfortable, I could also recommend a 50s bass.

a P bass is always appropriate...good choice....c-d

• Members

No complaints about mine. I picked it up at GC for 350 or 400 I think.

4967fix_edited-1.jpg

Of course I don't play it that often as I am concerned about my professionalism so I play a fiver 98% of the time.

So sexy. So good.

The one of those that I played a while back kicked the pants off of the new American Standard Series P-bass that I tried out, especially for the $$. As far as the HW1 series goes, I am not overly impressed with my HW1 Tele versus my American Series Tele. Still a nice guitar for the money, though.

• Members

I can't compare with the Mexican one, as I 've never played it, but I think mine has the Mex keys. The Badass is great, fit and finish are really good, great tone and resonance, thought the tone knob is different on the two, that I know. I bought mine because it resonates like hell, is light, the C neck is comfy, it records really well. A session with the Fender/Meguire polish kit helped shine it up quite a bit. I originally toyed with the idea of spraying a clear coat, but settled on a tort guard, instead.

• Members

well if everyone else is showing off their HWY1s i guess i have to include mine. do i get extra motown mojo points?
:lol:

2q2fz2u.jpg

Nice!

I won't be showing off my jazz. I've showed it here before, and it tends to cause a lot of butt hurt. :(

It's a HEAVY relic now, but a good one IMO.

• Members

I WILL own one of these, soon.

It will be my X-MAS present.

Currently I'm playing an MIM P bass: I want something with a slightly more stable neck and good fretwork past the 14th fret.

I've noticed that MIM's all have funky fretwork on or around the 16th fret: I've played 3 different ones and they all have the exact same issue (buzzing: frets aren't level in that area)

It seems that Fender sandbags the MIM series that way: check it out yourself.

Hopefully HWY1 has good fretwork, or it'll be a no go for me.

• Members

For a Retro Motown sound, the highway 1 P would be better. Get flatwound strings, a rosewood neck and you will get a more bootyliscious tone. The 50s single coil stuff will sound more midrangy and punchy escpecially if it has a maple neck.

FYI - the Classic 50s is a split-coil model. I believe it's modeled after the '57.

1.jpg

Archived