Neil Peart vs. Stewart Copeland

db.

• Members

Stewart Copeland hates his right wrist a lot. Have you seen him fling that bitch around like he wants his hand to pop off of his arm?

That being said, Copeland. He's an overplaying SoB but in the context of The Police it just works. Sting and Andy leave so much space to play in that the sum total would be a lot less if there were not persistent ride cymbal triplets every 4 bars.

Pretty much. Copeland was a master at filling the space Sting left in the songs. He's my favorite over-playing drummer. :D

• Members

Session players are definitely amazing musicians, but most of the fun of being a musician is performing, IMO.

Session player????

Do a YouTube search for Steve Gadd!

Plenty of performance footage, and with a multitude of different artists, and different styles.

• Members

Before you assume Copeland couldn't play the jazzy fusion stuff, give Animal Logic a listen. That's the band with Stanley Clarke on bass. Wicked stuff. Steve Gadd is a drum god also but Copeland does his own thing ridiculously well.

I kinda remember the same kind of argument when people compared Bill Bruford to Billy Cobham. Billy was considered by many drummers to be the most technical fusion guy ever but Bruford combined so many elements in his drumming which made it so brilliant. He made great songs great. Copeland is in the same league. Gadd is too though, he's not just technical.

I really dig Casey Shurrell from the old Jean Luc Ponty albums. Narada Micheal Walden was also a freak drummer with a heavy sense of latin fusion funk.

• Members

I seriously cannot believe you've complained about Thrustin when this is the kind of thread you post
:)

What, you wanna song with that? :p

This is just a "shoot the shit" post; a post that confirms the awesomeness that is Stewart Copeland and brings up discussion. This is not a philosophy class.

I could post a thread about how awesome I am, but that would be too Thrustin. Just sayin'

:D

• Members

What, you wanna song with that?
:p

I could post a thread about how awesome I am, but that would be too Thrustin.

No. It would be too far-fetched to believed. We all know that you don't think that about yourself.

I am awesome. What I do is something to be in awe of. I do what nobody has ever done for any forum ever! You all are very lucky to have me.

If you think that just me saying that I'm awesome has anything to do with my awesomeness, you're missing the point.

I bring it.

I bring it unlike any other who has attempted to bring it before me.

I am the man.

What upsets you, and others, is that it's true. I am the man.

I am the man.

I am the man.

I bring it like it has never been broughten before.

I bring it for you.

And it is awesome!

Believe it.

Believe in it.

Oh, and Thumper...best overplaying drummer? Mitch Mitchell.

• Members

No. It would be too far-fetched to believed.
We all know that you don't think that about yourself.

The difference between you and me is that you say that you are awesome. I don't need to say such egocentric things. People just know I'm awesome. It's common knowledge. It's as clear as day. It's an unwritten truth.

And I'm humble. I told you all this before, and you still don't listen. I was just "calling you out" by saying I was awesome, and look how quickly you came running. :facepalm:

And stop trying to hijack this thread. I know you better than you know yourself. :cop:

Carry on. :D

• Members

The difference between you and me is that
you
say that you are awesome. I don't need to say such egocentric things. People just know I'm awesome. It's common knowledge. It's as clear as day. It's an unwritten truth.

And I'm humble. I told you all this before, and you still don't listen. I was just "calling you out" by saying I was awesome, and look how quickly you came running.
:facepalm:

And stop trying to hijack this thread. I know you better than you know yourself.
:cop:

Carry on.

I am awesome.

• 9 years later...
  • Members
On 9/14/2009 at 11:59 PM, db. said:

Yeah, I know they're drummers but whatever.

Not only would Stewart outplay Neil's ass, he would also break his ribs. Just sayin'

Sting is just an appetizer for Stewart. He's a badass drummer.

What say you? do you believe Peart is better?

On 9/15/2009 at 12:21 AM, db. said:

It's an 'apples & oranges' comparison. what i love about copeland is his ability to take a minimal set and play it so articulately. what i love about peart is his ability to take a huge set and play it so complexly. As far as breaking pearts ribs,....have you seen his arms? one punch would do a lot!
:cop:

It's a good comparison, though. Both technically gifted. Both have throngs of fans. Both in bands with cultish followings.

The distinct difference between the two is that Peart plays in a complex style - in many cases, too much for what's needed, and sometimes takes away from the songs.

Copeland plays in a complex style, too, but his complexity and rhythmic magic only adds to the music. And Stewart is a friggin' madman. A military brat who grew up all over the world. He'd drop Peart like a stone just sayin'

• Members

I used to think Peart was better, but as I got older and was able to unpack the songs and listen to the drum lines it became obvious to me Copeland is better, Peart is amazing but sometimes more is less, Copeland hands down better! 

• Members

Why? It’s better to talk about than Trump or Clinton! And it is relevant to music because I think Copeland did not get his due especially walking on the moon and message in a bottle etc etc, Peart “ Tom Sawyer” why bother being in this forum if you think this relevant drum discussion is not interesting or important, Go back to Facebook where all the idiots hang out, A intelligent technical conversation about 2 of the best ever drummers is irrelevant? Man you go to be a millennial!

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 8/31/2019 at 11:58 PM, Steveek15 said:

Why? It’s better to talk about than Trump or Clinton! And it is relevant to music because I think Copeland did not get his due especially walking on the moon and message in a bottle etc etc, Peart “ Tom Sawyer” why bother being in this forum if you think this relevant drum discussion is not interesting or important, Go back to Facebook where all the idiots hang out, A intelligent technical conversation about 2 of the best ever drummers is irrelevant? Man you go to be a millennial!

Did you just say ",A intelligent technical discussion"?

There's a drum forum. I hear they're comparing Buddy Rich and Dave Grohl this week. 

• Members
On 9/15/2009 at 9:57 AM, Dan450 said:

Most drummers would say Peart, and according to this thread most bassists will say Copeland.

I’m not most drummers then...  Copeland...  hands down.    there are truly monsters in the industry, and Stewart Copeland is two or three of them all by himself...

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On 9/15/2009 at 3:58 PM, countrybass said:

As a bassist, I would rather play with Copeland. I think he grooves better than Peart. But I don't have a clue as to which of the two is a better drummer.

You are right! Copeland is fine tuned when it comes to keeping a groove and polyrhythm. What is so unique is that he does not bore the listener! He keeps changing the beats!

Archived