Neil Peart vs. Stewart Copeland

db.

• Members

Yeah, I know they're drummers but whatever.

Not only would Stewart outplay Neil's ass, he would also break his ribs. Just sayin'

Sting is just an appetizer for Stewart. He's a badass drummer.

What say you? do you believe Peart is better?

• Members

Not only would Stewart outplay Neil's ass, he would also break his ribs. Just sayin'

It's an 'apples & oranges' comparison. what i love about copeland is his ability to take a minimal set and play it so articulately. what i love about peart is his ability to take a huge set and play it so complexly. As far as breaking pearts ribs,....have you seen his arms? one punch would do a lot!:cop:

• Members

It's an 'apples & oranges' comparison. what i love about copeland is his ability to take a minimal set and play it so articulately. what i love about peart is his ability to take a huge set and play it so complexly. As far as breaking pearts ribs,....have you seen his arms? one punch would do a lot!
:cop:

It's a good comparison, though. Both technically gifted. Both have throngs of fans. Both in bands with cultish followings.

The distinct difference between the two is that Peart plays in a complex style - in many cases, too much for what's needed, and sometimes takes away from the songs.

Copeland plays in a complex style, too, but his complexity and rhythmic magic only adds to the music. And Stewart is a friggin' madman. A military brat who grew up all over the world. He'd drop Peart like a stone just sayin'

• Members

It's a good comparison, though. Both technically gifted. Both have throngs of fans. Both in bands with cultish followings.

The distinct difference between the two is that Peart plays in a complex style - in many cases, too much for what's needed, and sometimes
takes away
from the songs.

Copeland plays in a complex style, too, but his complexity and rhythmic magic only adds to the music. And Stewart is a friggin' madman. A military brat who grew up all over the world. He'd drop Peart like a stone just sayin'

when it comes to peart think more like gene krupa in a rock band. copeland otoh, more like................well he's stewart copeland........ kinda more laid back but not in a jazz way. he's just 'cope', ain't nobody else like'em!:thu:

• Members

Stewart Copeland hates his right wrist a lot. Have you seen him fling that bitch around like he wants his hand to pop off of his arm?

That being said, Copeland. He's an overplaying SoB but in the context of The Police it just works. Sting and Andy leave so much space to play in that the sum total would be a lot less if there were not persistent ride cymbal triplets every 4 bars.

• Members

Seven threads started by db. on the first page.

Can we merge some of this hopelessness.

Carl Palmer FTW!

Nobody else is doing anything. So why not? By tomorrow everything will be different. Since when did you become such a hateful person? Geez.

• Members

I think I was 17 when I decided it was lame to use musicians to play "My Dad can beat up your dad." :poke:

• Members

I think I was 17 when I decided it was lame to use musicians to play "My Dad can beat up your dad." :poke:

Anyone that came up in the 80's knows how jive this "better" crap can get - the 80's was the pinnacle of competitive attitudes in music.

I love both bands (The Police, Rush): there is no "Better" drummer for Rush than Peart, and certainly no "better" drummer for the Police than Cope.

• Members

While a recognize the pure greatness of both players, I prefer Copeland for his versatility and his sense funk, drama, and flair. I think playing in the Police requires a bit more versatility. He also played with Stanley Clarke in a band (name escapes me right now) and his drumming in that was SICK. Copleland is a like Bruford in the sense that he created his own thing and always keeps you off balance. Very intelligent and demanding drummers.

• Members

I don't know. I think comparing these two drummers is like comparing Larry Graham, John Entwistle and Paul McCartney. Great in their own right but I don't think they would really fit in each others band.

If you check this out you might be surprised with the consensus.

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_drummers.html

Archived