Picked up another Peavy 215...

georgestrings

• Members

... I had a 215D-BW for awhile, and really liked it - but ended up using it for trade bait towards my Mesa Powerhouse 610, which is a move I've never regretted for a second... Anyways, the 215D-BW got a great classic rock/old school type of tone - fairly bright and articulate for a 215, good lows, but really shined for low mids - it also sounded really, really good in a band mix...

I've come to appreciate wheeling in one cab, yet not lacking any for volume and low end - so, naturally I've missed that last Peavey 215... A couple of weeks ago, I did a bit of trading, and ended up with another 215D-BW that was in even better shape than my last one - here it is:

Peavey215D-BW012.jpg

It had the original BW 15s in it, which I put in a pair of wedge monitors of mine, and loaded it up with a pair of Kappa 15LFAs I had kicking around... The Kappas give it better lows, and will handle much more power than the BWs will - I'm going to install a pair of recessed casters and a pair of recessed handles for tilt back moving, and call it good...

- georgestrings

• Members

I think a lot of the younguns on this forum won't appreciate what you've got there. Back in the late 70's up to the early nineties, that was THE cab to have if you were a working man and couldn't swing an Ampeg 810. Back around that time you just about could not go out and watch a band and not see that cab with a Peavey Mark III head on top of it.

• Members

I think a lot of the younguns on this forum won't appreciate what you've got there. Back in the late 70's up to the early nineties, that was THE cab to have if you were a working man and couldn't swing an Ampeg 810. Back around that time you just about could not go out and watch a band and not see that cab with a Peavey Mark III head on top of it.

Yeah, I've always thought those were really good cabs - the best out of the 4 different 215s that Peavey made... When I bought my 1st one, I A/B'd it with a Mesa 215, and the 215D-BW sounded just as good as the Mesa - but cost less than half the Mesa's used asking price...

- georgestrings

• Members

Great score.
:thu:

Thanks, bud - I did a bit of horse trading(again): that gutted Pro Reverb and Silvertone tube amp I told you about, for the 215, a pair of 18" BWs I needed for a pair of my subs, some mic cables and stands... I figure I got about $700 worth of stuff for a couple of pieces I've been carting around for years without using, and that were given to me, anyways... Now, I've got all 4 of my subs loaded with good BW drivers, a sweet 215, and some extra quality mic cables and stands - it could've been worse...

Only downside is, I won't be troubling you with that Pro Reverb re-build anymore - but I still have a pretty sweet Dean Markley 60 watt, 2 channel tube combo, so I really didn't need it anyways...

- georgestrings

• Members

Great score!!!

I had one in the day, and I could easily have one again as my main, gigging cab.

I agree with your description - surprisingly good highs, but awesome mid-lows and lows. I used mine with a 150 wt tube head...awesome!

Thanks, they're pretty good cabs, IMO - I did a bunch of paying gigs with my last one for a band that played mostly classic and southern rock, and modern country - and that 215D-BW was outstanding for that... As with many good gigging cabs, it's nothing spectacular by itself, but works really well in a band mix...

- georgestrings

• Members

Great! I love 215s....

Was thinking about you the other day, haven't seen you around in a while George.

Thanks, JJ - I just came off a little "timeout" - another bull{censored} one, IMO - but my opinions don't mean squat to the powers that be here... I'll still post a bit here and there, but am probably going to taper off quite a bit - as I don't feel I'm being treated fairly, nor have been in the past...

- georgestrings

• Members

Thanks, JJ - I just came off a little "timeout" - another bull{censored} one, IMO - but my opinions don't mean squat to the powers that be here... I'll still post a bit here and there, but am probably going to taper off quite a bit - as I don't feel I'm being treated fairly, nor have been in the past...

- georgestrings

New mods are in town so hopefully that will make a difference . Yeah I think you have been taken wrong in the past. Would be sa to loose you over some bull{censored}

• Members

If my back would handle a 2 15" cab, I'd use one. That looks to be in great shape.
:thu:

If you can't gitterdone with a pair of 15"s, your band is playing too farkin' loud.
:cop:

My back isn't in the greatest shape, either - but moving a cab that size isn't a biggie for me: I can tilt it in and out of my truck, and get help with any stairs - same as I do already with my Mesa 610... I think I'm gonna spring for a set of glide rails for the back, like I have on the Mesa - and am considering putting handles on the bottom of both cabs for ease of loading in and out of the truck...

I'm right there with you regarding volume - my bands are always pretty loud, but a pair of 15s *should* be more than enough for any normal band situation...

- georgestrings

• Members

New mods are in town so hopefully that will make a difference . Yeah I think you have been taken wrong in the past. Would be sa to loose you over some bull{censored}

Well, unfortunately the accumulative effect of my past bull{censored} bans - mostly at the hands of Catphish - is taking it's toll... I got a 30 day ban for stating that someone was acting like an asshole(which they were) - and was told that the next ban was going to be permanent... So, I figure that if/when I get banned permanently, it won't be the end of the world - after all, there are plenty of other places on the 'net to visit - and that don't moderate with such a pathetic double standard...

As just one example - Catphish once banned me for suggesting that hi.flier eat a big dick, but HE later on told someone else to eat a bag of dicks - with zero repercussions...

Besides, I mostly came here to interact with other musicians - and a majority of the people here aren't, and many *act* like they've got their {censored} together - and it turns out they've got serious issues, seeing a shrink, on meds, ect... not to mention people that troll, and kids that are a pain in the neck...

Truthfully, there are plenty of reasons for me not to bother with HCBF anymore - but there are also plenty of people here that I really like, so we'll see what happens...

- georgestrings

• Members

Well, unfortunately the accumulative effect of my past bull{censored} bans - mostly at the hands of Catphish - is taking it's toll...
I got a 30 day ban for stating that someone was acting like an asshole
(which they were) - and was told that the next ban was going to be permanent... So, I figure that if/when I get banned permanently, it won't be the end of the world - after all, there are plenty of other places on the 'net to visit - and that don't moderate with such a pathetic double standard...

As just one example - Catphish once banned me for suggesting that hi.flier eat a big dick, but HE later on told someone else to eat a bag of dicks - with zero repercussions...

Besides, I mostly came here to interact with other musicians - and a majority of the people here aren't, and many *act* like they've got their {censored} together - and it turns out they've got serious issues, seeing a shrink, on meds, ect... not to mention people that troll, and kids that are a pain in the neck...

Truthfully, there are plenty of reasons for me not to bother with HCBF anymore - but there are also plenty of people here that I really like, so we'll see what happens...

- georgestrings

I think I know who you are talking about , and yes they where.

That is the thing I have noticed about you, You come here to talk. And you speak your mind which is {censored}ing great, But some people get personal and you don't stand for it and give it back...then get the hammer.

But it's just talk and who gives a {censored} what you say to them ,Jesus.

Your just calling it like you see it, which is usually on the mark

• Members

I think I know who you are talking about , and yes they where.

That is the thing I have noticed about you, You come here to talk. And you speak your mind which is {censored}ing great, But some people get personal and you don't stand for it and give it back...then get the hammer.

But it's just talk and who gives a {censored} what you say to them ,Jesus.

Your just calling it like you see it, which is usually on the mark

You're right, I do come here to talk - about pretty much anything... and yeah, I'm a very straightforward and sincere person - whether I'm standing in front of you, or posting on the 'net... Unfortunately, *some* people can't/won't act that way, nor deal with someone who does - and can't handle opposing views...

Oh, well - that's enough on this subject for me - as I said, we'll see what happens... Thanks for the kind words, btw...

- georgestrings

• Members

I still use my PV 2x15, great cab. They project really well all the way to the back of the club.

However I got tired of blowing the PV speakers so I replaced them with heavy duty EVs.

Yeah, the Kappa's I replaced the original BW's with are surely an upgrade - and are definitely a hardier driver... Eventually, I *might* replace them with a pair of 3015s - depends on how much I use it...

- georgestrings

• Moderators
Yeah, the Kappa's I replaced the original BW's with are surely an upgrade - and are definitely a hardier driver... Eventually, I *might* replace them with a pair of 3015s - depends on how much I use it...

- georgestrings

How light would the Kappalites make that cab, GS? I've been thinking about getting a 215 setup, but my back tells me, "No!"

Archived