What's a good Bass Amp for a Tube Amplfier (Music Man HD-130)

niggardly panda

• Members
So I bought a Music Man HD-130 head and i'm looking for a bass cabinet to go with it. Will any old bass cabinet or speakers do? What wattage should I look for? I want to get that tube grind like Weezer or Tool.

Can't answer the question until you tell us how many watts your amp puts out at how many ohms. Check the back panel. Knowing your budget would be helpful, too.

• Members

Can't answer the question until you tell us how many watts your amp puts out at how many ohms. Check the back panel. Knowing your budget would be helpful, too.

It's 130 watts @ 8 ohms, honestly I don't want to spend much but maybe around 200-300 bucks used? I'd probably be gear hunting on Craigslist. Thinking about picking up a Fender Bassman 2x12 that some white trash lady has for sale on there: http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/1501324691.html and sticking some new speakers in it.

• Members

It's 130 watts @ 8 ohms, honestly I don't want to spend much but maybe around 200-300 bucks used?

See if you can find a used Bag End S15-D or Aguilar GS 112 (or GS 112NT). You might be able to find one at the price.

If you want something bigger, a Peavey 410 TX is a good choice among the budget cabs. Should be within your budget.

• Members

See if you can find a used
Bag End S15-D
or
Aguilar GS 112
(or GS 112NT). You might be able to find one at the price.

If you want something bigger, a
Peavey 410 TX
is a good choice among the budget cabs. Should be within your budget.

How's this? http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/1527546433.html or is that guy on crack or something?

• Members

How's this?
or is that guy on crack or something?

Hard to tell from CL pics, but I doubt those drivers are original. The dust covers don't look right to me. Without original drivers, I would stay way. If everything is original, then the price is fabulous.

The nice thing about Bag End 15" cabs is that the mids are very pronounced and the lows aren't too boomy. They'll give you a nice, growly tone.

• Members

Just in case he can still read, the Music Man isn't all tube, it's hybrid... solid state preamp with tube poweramp. It won't grind... it'll give you more of a synthy fuzz, which turns into a massive fart with bass. Precisely why I sold it.

I've had two HD-130's that both had tube pre-amps. I think they came in both for the 130's. I'm no expert, but I think the HD-150's were all a hybrid.

• Members

Hartke is not good and yes, it is just crap that people should throw in the garbage - ALL people. The earth must be cleansed of Hartke.

So yeah, can anybody suggest a good cab? Is Hartke any good or is it just crap people should throw in the garbage?

Archived