First rehearsal with Squier ProTone Precision 5

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

I approve. 100%

Sounded great on our most recent recordings, sounded great at rehearsal.

It sounds better then all of my other basses, hands down.

Love the playability too, it just feels comfortable in my hands, and the string spacing seems just right.....no issues with missing strings on it while string skip picking.

It's "my anti-tone" dream bass. raw, and extremely punchy.

Paired with mah M2000 head it's very similar to my recorded tones.

Now I just need to find another. :o

It would be awesome if I could downtune the low B to A# and still retain some string tension. I'll probably have to go up to a .135 to do that, eh?

• Members

'90 Protones = '80s MIJ Squiers as some of the best instruments Fender ever offered, in terms of tone, build quality and value.

I saw a Protone V in a shop years ago. I should have bought it.
:facepalm:

They really are. Like I said....the only flaw I could find on the bass was that one of the side fret markers was off center. :o

That's pretty good for a "cheap" instrument.

I previously had an MIA Fender Jazz V.....that just did not sound how I wanted it to. :(

I changed the controls from blend/vol/tone to vol/vol/tone...and it made the world of difference in tone and punch.

It's got the Jazz tone, but with more low end girth.

You should have bought that one cheap....you could have sold it to me for fair market value.:cop:

• Members

That's the only color they came in.

:love:

I've considered re-finishing one. :o

That's partly my fault. Srsly.

What is the "fair market value" ?

You helped design it?

Congrats, I love, ABSOLUTELY love the wide nut width!! :thu: Half of the reason I love the bass so much is the neck.

I think I paid $275 for mine, but that's a hair high. :(

• Members

:love:
I've considered re-finishing one.
:o

You helped design it?

Congrats, I love, ABSOLUTELY love the wide nut width!!
:thu:
Half of the reason I love the bass so much is the neck.

I think I paid $275 for mine, but that's a hair high.
:(

I had the original prototype. They tried to keep the neck narrow and ended up with the g string too close to the edge and it would pull off when playing. I told 'em it would be better if the neck was a little wider than to have the strings all narrow and close to the edge. That was the one piece of advice they took from me.

$275 too high ? :rolleyes:

STFU

• Members

It wasn't my looks or talent, it was friends in high places.
:)

I have to say thank you again, because this bass is pretty much everything I've ever wanted in a bass. It's a life bass.

That's the reason I don't really play 4 string basses.....necks are too small. :(

• Members

I have to say thank you again, because this bass is pretty much everything I've ever wanted in a bass. It's a life bass.

:rolleyes:

You're trolling now, aren't you. You have that gorgeous Ray 5er, and you're all gooey about the Squier ? :confused:

Well, you are teh anti-tone :idk:

• Members

:rolleyes:

You're trolling now, aren't you. You have that gorgeous Ray 5er, and you're all gooey about the Squier ?
:confused:

Well, you are teh anti-tone
:idk:

I truly like the Squier more then all of my other basses. no joke.

The Stingray is nice, sure....but it doesn't deliver the tone I'm looking for. I traded for it on a whim. Not unhappy with it at all, just prefer the Protone.

• Members

quit trolling me dork.

If you played the bass, I'm sure you'd be surprised....but since you don't like Fender, I'm sure you'd still hate it.

$$ does not equal tone nor playability.

My $4k MTD and $3k NS2 beg to differ...

Ass.

;)

Archived