My review of the Ampeg SVT-350 after using it in a full band setting.

Conformer

• Members

I got this amp back in November, as my GK back line 300 head just did not blend well with the mix. I like my tone to cut through with some very strong mids, and I usually run the bass EQ flat, and bring my treble down some.

Anyway I am running it at 200 watts since I have only one 8 ohm cab. It can push 350 with another 8 ohm cab or one four ohm cab.

The cab is an old Fender 4x10...not the greatest thing but it works.

Anyway I play a lot of grunge era type stuff, and I like the crisp mids I get through with this head. It has more high end clarity than my GK had, and it doesn't get muddy sounding in the mix.

My basses are a 4 string Ibanez GSR-200 and a 5 string Ibanez SR485. I got stainless steel strings on both. DR's on the 4 stringer, and Ken Smith's on the 5er.

Anyway when covering AIC, or similar acts or even originals, I can get a lot closer to that facelift tone. Running into a digital recorder with the XLR out gives me a real good recording tone. I got a lot of punch, and more head room if I need it. Also my DOD Bass Grunge pedal sounds great with this rig.

If I need that nu metal clank (not Fieldy) I can hit it with the 5 stringer and this. Anyway I know its not the most loved amp, but after giving it a whirl with the full band, I say its what I have been looking for on a lot of levels

• Members

Yeah, at higher levels I get a crisper sound were with the GK Backline it got boomier, but muddier. Both my guitarist and and singer seem to like it a lot better. Just adding my two cents. Not trying to start a GK vs. Ampeg just sharing my experience.

• Members

Well the GK is 200 watts into 8 ohms

The Ampeg SVT is 200 Watts into 8 ohms

So the wattage to my cab with both is the same. I just find the Ampeg has higher clarity than the GK did. One thing about that GK that was great was the overdrive channel. But with the DOD Grunge pedal I can get more out of the Ampeg if I need to get dirty.

Archived