So Mike Starr admits to Layne Staley's mother he was there, the night Layne died.

Conformer

• Members

He said Layne was sick and he (Mike) was on pills. Layne told him if he called 911, he would never talk to him again. Mike walked out and Layne said something like don't leave like this. Kinda creepy, and unfortunately a dark side to that whole Seattle scene. According to Mike he black out on drugs for two weeks not realizing what happened. Kind of sad. Those guys were on top of the world at one time, and now one is dead and the other is just still getting his shit together. :confused:

Well, next week Mike does a bass player thing and paints some Playboy centerfolds naked boobies!

• Members

Those guys were on top of the world at one time, and now one is dead and the other is just still getting his shit together.
:confused:

I don't think Staley was ever on top of the world. And he knew it. He knew he was going to OD.

• Moderators

He admits that
now?
If I were close to Staley, I'd be pissed.
:mad:

He admitted it to Layne's mom. She understood, forgave him and was very supportive. She told him that it wasn't his fault, it was Layne's and that Layne would have felt the same. You could tell that she honestly wants Mike to get better and survive. It was one of the more touching moments in the several seasons of that series.

• Moderators

Why would it even matter? Staley would be dead either way.

It was interesting to see how much guilt Mike had because he blamed himself and how Layne's mom didn't blame him at all. Getting to talk to her and receiving the reaction he did may have saved his life.

• Members

Why would it even matter? Staley would be dead either way.

Because that's not all that matters to the people who loved the deceased.

I know if I lost someone close, I'd want to know how they died, who was with them during their last moments, what they said, etc. It's part of the closure process for many. Not for everyone, though.

• Members

It was interesting to see how much guilt Mike had because he blamed himself and how Layne's mom didn't blame him at all. Getting to talk to her and receiving the reaction he did may have saved his life.

Heavy. It no doubt will have a major impact on his ability to recover.

• Members

I would imagine it's like the weight of the world being lifted off his shoulders...

- georgestrings

Yes I imagine it would. He probably feels partially responsible. Could he have saved Layne that night? Maybe. Would he have died another night? Probably.

There have probably been so many thoughts go through his head that we don't even know about, and continuing his drug use helped him forget. Now that it is out and in the open, he isn't hiding a deep dark secret anymore. He will feel cleansed and it should deffinetly give him a push in the right direction to get clean. :thu:

• Members

That is heavy stuff. I mean you look at the other tragedies in that scene. Andy wood, Kurt Cobian, and then his best friend Layne. Now he is 44 years old looking back, and wondering how or why he is still alive.

I had dealt with a similar situation years ago, where I could have done more to help a drummer out. Once I left that band, he moved in with the singer (which was not good), and before you know it he is in the hospital from a drug OD. He didn't die, but he has never been right. Enough damage that it effected his motor skills.

• Members

I'm a LONG TIME huge AIC fan and thought Starr was a really good bass player and showman but this show ... what a bunch of mawkish, exploitive made for tv crap.

And Starr comes off like he's about six years old. It was hard to watch.

So what does this sellout shrink and his producers do? Trawl for cases like Starr? Ick.

• Members

I'm a LONG TIME huge AIC fan and thought Starr was a really good bass player and showman but this show ... what a bunch of mawkish, exploitive made for tv crap.

So what does this sellout shrink and his producers do? Trawl for cases like Starr? Ick.

I'm sure in their way they think it'll help other people. Sorry someone you looked up to got knocked down a peg in your eyes.

• Members

Well, it was no real surprise.

I always wondered why Starr left right when AIC hit it huge and what little I could find said he was completely out of control and the band couldn't stand having him around any more and canned him.

Jeeze that guy blew it.

I'm sure in their way they think it'll help other people. Sorry someone you looked up to got knocked down a peg in your eyes.

• Members

Actually he was on the Facelift, Sap, and Dirt Albums. Notice how Layne's drug addiction and participation where's off after the Dirt Album. Jar of Flies and Tripiod especially. Also notice in Tripod how in the heavier songs the bass..is less active and punchy and just more straight forward, root note.

Seems like Mike & Layne were more close than Layne and the other guys.

• Members

I haven't seen the show yet, but he's always had the mentality of a 6 year old from what I remember. Always been a little slow in the uptake, even not when high.

• Members

I don't know that any connection can be drawn between Starr getting sacked and Layne's addiction getting worse.

I think Layne just kept getting deeper into it as time went on.

Re Layne and Starr being the closest, who knows? Starr seems to be trying to say that now but who knows? The other guys (including Layne) have always keep their dirty laundry to themselves, which is cool.

In terms of Layne's creative contributions, I think he was as involved as ever (or more) on Tripod. Cantrell was always the creative engine though.

I think Inez's bass parts are active on Jar Of Flies.

Tripod maybe a bit less so but the style of the songs had evolved too. Tripod is probably my favorite AIC album. Sludge Factory! I never bought the line that Layne was somehow off on that album. I think he's amazing on it. Just different. They also recorded his voice more straight-up on Tripod.

Bass-wise, I may like Starr a bit more. Though I think they both did/do a great job.

Actually he was on the Facelift, Sap, and Dirt Albums. Notice how Layne's drug addiction and participation where's off after the Dirt Album. Jar of Flies and Tripiod especially. Also notice in Tripod how in the heavier songs the bass..is less active and punchy and just more straight forward, root note.

Seems like Mike & Layne were more close than Layne and the other guys.

Archived