Ampeg SVT-7 - Practice Review...

Phantasm

• Members

I finally got to practice with the full band with my SVT-7pro. If you haven't heard about this yet, it's Ampeg's "micro amp" weighing in at 15lbs. and has 1000W of power.

Very impressed, as was the band. It was easy to dial in a good sound and it was pretty consistent with the EQ settings I normally use on the "SVT Style" Ampeg preamp sections. Normally I boost treble and bass a little, put the selector switch at 3 (800hz) and boost to 3:00. I found the amp sounded good with the Ultra Lo switch pressed in (which I don't normally do on other Ampegs, but this time it was working for me.)

The built in compressor is a nice touch but really needs to be only a very little bit. There's an active light for the compressor that really helps to dial it in.

There's a tube in the unit and I've read that it's a JJ. There was some good Ampeggy light overdrive around 11:00 on the gain knob, right where it usually lives for Ampeg preamps for me.

Overall the amp isn't as clean and focused as the GK MB2500 that I've been using but there's still a very articulate quality to the sound. It's a little "softer" than the GK sound which was nice... it's a little less "sharp" with the sound. Both amps are really great for the money and LIGHTWEIGHT!

I'll probably actually gig with the SVT-7 on Saturday, it impressed me enough that I think its time to take it out for a walk.

77271_clipped-54bd43525eeb9e69f3dd159f0d

77271R_clipped-1d1911ffe48680c5b9c001b19

• Members

Truth be told, I was pretty much "done" with Ampeg until I saw this amp. It really had my interest and it was getting positive feedback, so I decided what the heck - let's give it a shot. It's done well so far...

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Man, it really speaks volumes about how far Ampeg has fallen that T-broom's thread about a French Press has more replies than this one.

Alright, I will help even the score. Here is my reply:

Thanks for posting - useful info. I am very attracted to this amp because the price isn't too bad and the weight is excellent - did you try the line out? Any noise/issues?

Archived