Ideal bass guitar and combo amp for blues?

skatalite

• Members

It really depends on the blues. Its almost like asking what's good for rock, its just to vague

It could be anything from an upright to a p bass to a hollowbody, etc etc

Who are some artists that you like?

I should've been more specific. I'm not sure what kind of blues, really, since I'm just now getting into it and learning about different musicians, sounds, eras, etc. Also, I haven't really been listening to bassists so much as guitarists right now. As far as git players go: Freddie King, Robert Johnson, Miss Blues (Robb Hibbard is the guitarist), John Lee Hooker, to name a handful.

• Members

I should've been more specific. I'm not sure what kind of blues, really, since I'm just now getting into it and learning about different musicians, sounds, eras, etc. Also, I haven't really been listening to bassists so much as guitarists right now. As far as git players go: Freddie King, Robert Johnson, Miss Blues (Robb Hibbard is the guitarist), John Lee Hooker, to name a handful.

A lot of the old blues guys used a precision. That being said, if you are looking for the kinda old style blues stuff, you might look at an ol tube driven Ampeg with an Ampeg 410 cab. You prolly couldn't go wrong with that combination.

• Members

For that really old stuff, upright. It was all there was at the time.

If you want to do more electric blues, try a P bass strung with flats and a tube amp of your choosing, maybe a Fender Bassman of some sort, or a Sovtek if you can find one.

Even into the 80s, this was a pretty standard setup. Tommy Shannon had both Js and Ps, and lots of amps, but any old tube amp will do. You'll be going for a big, warm sound and flats+tubes do it nicely.

• Members

From the 50's to the 60's as basses migrated from uprights with amplified peg pups (Ampeg) to Fender Precisions with mostly Ampeg B-12 or 15 FlipTops. 99% of all recorded music was made with a Fender P with flats to a B-15 or direct to a board. So most of the blues bass sounds were that combination. Many engineers refused to use anything but a Fender P with flats. No clones allowed at that time. Not many around then anyway.

Archived