$74k to start

Thunderbroom

• Members

And folks that are unemployed still continue to complain about there being no good jobs. While I am fortunately employed I would totally go after one of these jobs if I was un/underemployed.

Just mentioned these opening to my students, some of whom are unemployed. From one or two of them I heard something along the lines of, "I'm not gonna work in no warehouse for scratch waiting on one of these driver jobs. Eff that."

:freak:

• Members

Just mentioned these opening to my students, some of whom are unemployed. From one or two of them I heard something along the lines of, "I'm not gonna work in no warehouse for scratch waiting on one of these driver jobs. Eff that."

:freak:

I worked in a warehouse for a couple years & thought it was pretty chill... As long as you don't mind lifting stuff. Plus you get to drive a forklift! :D

• Members

:(

As a teacher (prof?) I bet a part of you died when you heard that too.

I am a full, tenured professor (that's what we got in our last contract vice nice pay raises!). When I heard those folks say that, in part, it removed any doubt as to why they are unemployed. I used to feel like that but now just realize that there are folks like this and that these particular people shouldn't use me as a reference.

• Members

And the dock work is back-breaking hell for up to 10 years, all union seniority based - plus everyone is hanging on for a truck route to open up or someone to retire/die.

The truck is the carrot for the cart of the real workforce.

^

THIS

• Members

74,000 for a driver job?

{censored} me sideways, why do I even bother being skilled?

Hey, apparently it takes a lot of skill to open your truck door and walk a package an average of 15-20 yards to a person's front door.

At least that's what I assume, since 90% of the UPS drop offs I've gotten delivered to my current residence rarely make it past the top of my mailbox, or the front of my garage door. :facepalm: I can't tell you how many packages I've found sitting next to my mailbox on top of the newspaper box. Including my iPhone 3gs in the middle of sleet/snow storm. I wouldn't have even known I'd gotten it had I not happed to look up the status and then go check my mailbox when it wasn't at the door. :mad:

Also, rig haulers have the ability to make upwards of 70-75k/year, but you really gotta put in the long hours and own your own rig, from what I understand.

Not a job I would want. Although, right now, (laid off for 7 months), I'd gladly take just about anything that paid the bills.

Archived