STINGER bass - Can anyone tell me anything about this bass?

csrMark

• Members

I have owned this bass for about 15-18 years. I use it for recordings only. I bought it from a pawn shop. I got it cheap.

I can't find anything on the internet about it.

I read that "STINGER" was a bass made in Korea by CF MARTIN guitars but I'm not sure if this is one of those?

Any idea if it's worth anything? I have somebody interested in buying it and don't know what it's worth.

csr

BassGuitar.jpg?t=1275593084

BassGuitar.jpg

• Members

I joined a band and the bass they gave me to play during practice/live is a Martin Stinger bass, very similar to the one you have except mine is a Precision bass copy.

Not too much background noise, and the sound is pretty good. The action is a little high at the moment, and if I have to play a song that consists mostly of frets 1-4, my hand gets a bit cramped by the end of the song.

Not worth much at all. I've seen them go for $100-200 used. The Martin Stinger bass gets the job done, but it's just not really anything special. I'm saving up at the moment to buy an actual Fender Precision bass.

edit: and to the guy who asked, I don't think these basses are short scale, or at least the particular one I use isn't.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I had a Stinger bass back in the late 80s. It was the worst playing/sounding/smelling/etc..... POS I ever played. I ended up buying an Ibanez EX Series bass for $200 in '89 to replace that dung for sound bass and I still use the Ibanez as my main bass today. Stinger.. Stinker?

• 9 years later...
  • Members

The Martin Stinger basses were made in Korea by the Samick piano company. They were made to Martin specifications.  The quality was so so. Some were very good and some of them were not so much. These were made in the mid-80's. If you find a good one...HOLD on to it. It is a classic. ...and a Martin for you acoustic players.

Just sayin'

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hey there. Well I just bought a Stinger XB-7 Jazz Copy up here north of Lindsay Ontario Canada. I also couldn't find no info about this bass anywhere before I bought it so that's what intrigued me . But when the guy handed me the bass, my arm dropped as it is SO DAMMN HEAVY, so I new right off the get go this wasn't a piece of junk. It was in near mint cond., so I handed him $300 CDN and I now I own it. WOW! What an amazing bass! Sounds and plays better than ANY Fender Jazz American, and has the action of a $2500 bass! Where did these come from?? Mine is a red color including the neck with rosewood fretboard.  Martin guitars built these? There's no serial # or place of manufacture anywhere that I can see, and I even removed the pickguard and nothing! I'm not kidding, I've been playing bass for 40 years and WOW, what a bass!! I tried to download a pic of my bass but .... no. Text me at 613-242-0926 and I'll send some Pics to you. WTH, these must be off shore produced back when quality and copying American or literally beating American made was crucial.