Anybody preordering the new iPhone

Thunderbroom

• Members

It seems that both Apple and AT&T haven't figured out how to handle preorders after several of these launches. Their sites are down mostly. While I'd like the new phone, I'm not interested in playing the F5 Game. Moreover, it appears they don't have the white phone available for preorder.

• Members

T-Broom - My wife works at Apple. They shut the sites down intentionally until they are ready to open for preorders.

So they've been intentionally shutting down the site intermittently all day, because that's what's been happening. That doesn't seem to support the notion of waiting until they are ready to accepts preorders.

• Members

I haven't been interrested in anything over the simple pre-paid, until I saw the Droid.

THAT might convince me for something more.

maybe.

I could not have cared any less about touch screens until my company phone replacement; Android kicks major arse. I miss things like Active Sync but have found ways around it. It takes some getting used to coming from the older smart phones (Blackberry, Blackjack, etc).

I have several friends that go into Apple panic mode when see my phone; for some reason they feel the need to start showing me everything their iPhone can do and try to convince me how much I need one. :bor:

It's sort of scary really, I can't think of any other product that spawns this type of behavior.

• Members

Interestingly enough, around here phone providers sued Orange for dominant position and eventually they all got the right to sell iPhones.

I'm strongly opposed to any form of heavy marketing. Just the idea of buying an Apple product makes me sick. I'd feel caught.

I don't relate to the concept of feeling superior because you own a commercial item either.

• Members

There are no carrier plans here in Guatemala. It's 100% pre-paid. So while I'd like a wi-fi capable phone I'm not about to pay big bucks for an un-subsidized phone I'd have to jailbreak to make work with the local carriers.

They're cool, but not THAT cool..

• Members

I'm strongly opposed to any form of heavy marketing. Just the idea of buying an Apple product makes me sick. I'd feel caught.

I don't relate to the concept of feeling superior because you own a commercial item either.

JA, I feel the same way. Unfortunately, Apple pushes their product so strong and has such a customer following that developers are quick to jump with them. There are a ton of apps for the iPhone that I'd love to have on my Palm Pre. I went with what I feel to be the superior courier and product for my needs based on the knowledge I had, which is all anyone can do. However, Palm's development has been at a crawl compared to things the iPhone can do, and that's always in the back of my mind when I'm considering a new phone. So many companies nowadays are making very convenient apps for the iPhone, and most of them aren't going to Android or PalmOS. I'm still hoping they will eventually.

I think Alienware is a complete status symbol among gaming nerds but I'm typing on one right now, because I do a lot of Photoshop and it's the exact product for my needs. I didn't buy it for the logo or to be part of that crowd; I bought it because it's the only 11.6" notebook with a giant video card and decent processor.

• Members

Z, JA,

Now, I don't feel superior or whatever because I have some Apple products.

I just feel lucky to have something that works pretty seamlessly imho (so far).

I have Blackberry and Wintel at work. They are ok, but the Apple stuff seems like someone really, really, sweated the details, especially on the UI.

I have to admit, I don't use the cell phone very much (good thing with ATT as a carrier), but strobotuner, maps, safari, and multitracking, and the New York Times have been pretty damn handy. Yes, it's certainly nothing I need, but sure is convenient to have.

I just got an Imac instead of a new PC. I am tickled to death that I can open up a terminal and work on it like a real computer. (disclaimer: I'm a unix sysadmin in real life)

I downloaded my first application to run on it last night.

It was one file. No registry crap, no trillions of dll, no crazy random install stuff. No virus scan, no file trojans with fake suffixes... I'm kind of liking this.

Yeah, the buttons are all in the wrong place and the mouse is a slab, but generally really liking this experience.

But; not ordering the new iphone. I've got years left in the old one, and I see this as a very incremental improvement. I'll hold off for iphone 12gs.

cheers

C>

• Members

Hell no.

My co. will be getting me a Droid Incredible soon, to replace the craptacular windows mobile HTC that I'm stuck with right now.

It must be nice to see having a smartPhone as something fun - for me, it's one more thing that chains me to my job.

Archived