Sign in to follow this  
Jim-Bass

Strings: Pure Nickel vs Nickel Plated Steel

I'm looking at buying new Fender strings, but need to decide between the 7250 Nickel Plated Steel and the 7150 Pure Nickel. Anyone have any comments on the difference? I've used D'Addario XL170's in the past ...they'd be nickel plated steel. I'd like to try the pure nickel but will I find a big difference?

I use to use stainless steel for a while (10 years!), then switched to nickel coated. Steel is good but I prefer nickel ... each to their own

I use to use stainless steel for a while (10 years!), then switched to nickel coated. Steel is good but I prefer nickel ... each to their own

What do you notice different in the feel and tone?

What do you notice different in the feel and tone?

stainless steel is very bright , twangy and I found they became duller quicker ... I have a theory it's the dirt and sweat getting in the rounds. Nickel coated is bright but not as much as SS and a smoother feel ... the SS was a bit harsher on my fingertips. The nickel stays bright longer ... seems not to get that dirt in the grooves. This is just my experience, others may differ. We all have our preferred strings, basses, amps, tones etc...

I'm looking at buying new Fender strings, but need to decide between the 7250 Nickel Plated Steel and the 7150 Pure Nickel. Anyone have any comments on the difference? I've used D'Addario XL170's in the past ...they'd be nickel plated steel. I'd like to try the pure nickel but will I find a big difference?

I think you'll find pure nickel strings too dull for slapping.