Ibanez Destroyer: The Restoration

James Hart

• Members

So... some of you might remember that I picked up this Ibanez Destroyer a few years back as a present from the wife. It's the upgraded model of my first real bass (mine was red with a cream P pickup).

ibanez-destroyer.jpg

(I know I put II on the image but it's really an X Series)

Someone (very badly) refinished the top with reflective mylar and black modeling paint (originally black with cream pickups and binding). It looked cool in pictures but was really hideous in person. I disassembled it with plans of having it refinished (or doing it myself). I had picked up a PJ set of Delanos and a Bee Pre to install in it.

2010-11-28_delanos.jpg

Well the first refinisher fell through and I proceeded to start stripping the body... found another refinisher that also fell through and the whole project got shelved from frustration... a couple years ago :facepalm:

I saw a thread on TB about a guy looking to refinish his Destroyer of the same model and it sparked interest in me again :)

I pulled the body out and finished all the sanding

2010-11-27_stripped.jpg

and after a bit of thinking and chatting about the direction I was taking it... I proceeded to pull the binding so I can replace it instead of just painting over it.

2010-11-27_binding_removed-01.jpg

So... the plan is to prime it and finish with Thomas' Liquid Stainless Steel and rebind it with some tort binding that USPS has heading my way.

Oh yeah, the bridge is being replaced with this :cool:

2010-12-03_kahler.jpg

• Members

Thanks!

I just bought a new router (all previous use was with borrowed ones) from Sear online today. I'll pick it up at the local mall when the wife drags me holiday shopping on Sunday...

I cannot wait to route for the Kahler so I can get to the priming :)

• Members

Also have you seen the delano J/M hybrid pickup? That thing looks crazy

I'll do a video demo after I'm done... as far as the Delano line, yeah those J/M hybrid pickups look good. I've heard some demos but never tried them in person. I have an order on hold with Bee Basses for a 4 string that I will most likely use the oval Delanos in. A split and a big one or a pair of split. I might get that order moving for Fred to take to Winter NAMM 2012... I just cannot budget another custom right now.

If you cruise to almost the bottom of the Delano Artist page, you'll find me listed http://delano.de/artists.html I was up higher, but it seems more talented folks are figuring out how cool Delano pickups are :)

• Members

That is looking very cool. I love crazy 80's pointiness. Perfect bass for that bridge. Will you be wearing your old leopard print spandex, or buying some new duds for the video? Extra points if you can drag the old smoke machine out of the closet, and the song you use to show off the finished bass is [video=youtube;kHLXnyY537c]

Sorry.... I know you love your Bees, but that Destroyer's always been my favorite (looking) bass of yours, and I've wanted a Kahler for years but can't justify the expense (though of course in that time I've probably thrown away 10X that on stupid junk and Dunkin Donuts).

Good luck on the project!

• Members

Someone (very badly) refinished the top with reflective mylar and black modeling paint (originally black with cream pickups and binding). It looked cool in pictures but was really hideous in person....

I'm glad you explained it, because I couldn't tell what the top was...I was thinking "bad camera angle...." :facepalm:

• Members
So... some of you might remember that I picked up this Ibanez Destroyer a few years back as a present from the wife. It's the upgraded model of my first real bass (mine was red with a cream P pickup).

Oh yeah, the bridge is being replaced with this
:cool:

2010-12-03_kahler.jpg

now that perked my interest JH Even if you never use the bar, a fine bridge and I use a 7410 on my main player and never have an issue with tuning or stability when bending notes coming back in tune and my Jacksons have wonky string angles off the nut.:)

• Members

I know they are guitars... but damn if that ain't the coolest look
:love:

Great song.:cool:

I'm digging the whole idea of that project, every bass like that needs to be rescued and revived to rawk again. I don't dig the trem though, even though the style of it is perfect for the bass. At least seriously consider locking tuners and a slippery nut, like graphite.

• Members

At least seriously consider locking tuners and a slippery nut, like graphite.

Thanks, I'm not sure of the extent I'll use the trem... but have always wanted one on a bass. I fit all my basses with brass nuts and the tuners are the typical Heart shaped ones from that era... we'll see how they hold up.

• Members

Thanks, I'm not sure of the extent I'll use the trem... but have always wanted one on a bass. I fit all my basses with brass nuts and the tuners are the typical Heart shaped ones from that era... we'll see how they hold up.

It's not that they won't hold up, it's that they'll be the reason for it going out of tune. When you push down the trem, the string windings around the tuning peg posts relax, and actually shift and move on the peg. Then when you release the trem, they tighten up but they don't go to the same pitch because the windings changed their position. Locking tuners can eliminate most all of that since there are essentially zero windings around a peg. I played bro mango's trem bass and it was a good example of this. A graphite nut will also have a little less friction than brass, or pretty much everything else, which helps tuning stability as well.

Archived