How much is a OLP MM2 worth?

lfrz93

• Members

about $300. MAybe a bit more depending on condition.

They were way less than that new -- I think around $200

I' d pay maybe $150 if it's absotively perfect and I really, really loveed it. But more realistically probably not even $125.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

i thought they stopped making them cos they were taking business away from musicman.

Yes, they stopped manufacturing OLP guitars and basses over 6 years ago. The reason OLPs quit being made was that MusicMan pulled their manufacturing license because of variable quality, and MusicMan thought they could do a better job by manufacturing their own budget line (MusicMan Sub) instead of licensing the MM design out (of which they got a royalty payment on each OLP instrument made). In the end, MusicMan ended up cancelling the Sub model lineup and creating a separate business entity called Sterling By MusicMan. http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/

• Members

Actually, I was referring to Music Man basses in general.

Unfortunately, MusicMan basses and guitars have gone from expensive to even more expensive since the OLP era ended.

MusicMan SUB instruments were twice as expensive as OLPs when they were introduced, but the higher cost was definitely worth it due to the quality of construction and hardware, and they were made in the USA. The only thing objectionable with the SUB was the rough-ish satin finishes they used to help keep the cost down.

Sterlings are a lot like SUBs, they are about the same price as the SUB series were a few years ago, they're well made, but they don't use those rough satin finishes that they used on SUBs. So, the Sterling is really a better deal than an OLP or a SUB. Like Squier, Epiphone, and others, Sterlings are made in China by a MusicMan contractor, not through a third party licensing deal like OLP.

• Members

Just because something is built in America, doesn't necessarily make it great (look at Chrysler). I don't buy on that premise at all, and I have found myself happier and with a little more scratch in my pocket as well. I have owned fenders, a ric 4001 and have played gibson and a few musicman basses, I am happier with my chinese made MTD, and my korean made Ibbys.

Archived