Behringer B212A for practice & small-room gigs?

Stackabones

• Members

I'm a regular over in the Acoustic Guitar area, and I could use some help.

I just got an Epiphone EB-0 and don't have an amp. I do have some guitar amps (Fender Super Champ XD, old Peavy Bandit, etc) and a Fishman SoloAmp, but I'm not sure about those for bass. I'm guessing I'd blow out the speakers.:idk:

I do have a Behringer Eurolive B212A Powered Speaker. I've plugged it and it seems to work ok, but I don't want to do any damage to it.

What say you, yea or nay? Any further recommendations would be great!

• Members

I don't think you can hurt that unless you really, really try. I would get a SansAmp Bass DI box, or the Behringer copy of it (BDI-21) and put that between your bass guitar and the powered speaker. Both boxes work as "bass amp simulators" and give some nice tone shaping to your signal. Lots of bass players uses these boxes to run straight into a PA system, that's what you're doing here.

• Members

Though I agree with what Perry said and that having something better or more durable might be a good choice if you start gigging regularly, I use one ALL THE TIME at shows, for more than three years now, and with the exception of when a nine-year-old boy accidentally kicked it over while it was plugged in and broke my XLR jack (which cost quite a bit to fix), it's worked great. Just my experience, YMMV.

The previous recommendation of putting a SansAmp or some other kind of tone shaper between it and the B212A is a good idea. I use a POD X3 Live. If you had a bass with active electronics I'd say you don't need the preamp/DI, necessarily, but with an EB-0, you should get something. Behringer's BDI is surprisingly good-sounding, and it's wicked cheap if you're just deciding if this is something you want to pursue (playing bass).

Brian V.

• Members

Thanks for the replies, Perry & Brian.

I'll stick my powered speaker for now (heck, it's here and paid for) and look into one of the BDIs in the near future. Short-term use is bedroom and recording -- then maybe some casual jams. I'm primarily a guitarist and I've got to learn a bit more about how bassists approach the instrument and play in a band.

btw, I played the Epi into the powered speaker and I got a sound. How good or bad? Good enough for now, but I'd like better down the road.

• Members

Thanks for the replies, Perry & Brian.

I'll stick my powered speaker for now (heck, it's here and paid for) and look into one of the BDIs in the near future. Short-term use is bedroom and recording -- then maybe some casual jams. I'm primarily a guitarist and I've got to learn a bit more about how bassists approach the instrument and play in a band.

btw, I played the Epi into the powered speaker and I got a sound. How good or bad? Good enough for now, but I'd like better down the road.

FWIW, if you fing yourself in a gigging situation, you can always just use the powered speaker as a monitor, and run direct into the PA.

• Members

I agree.

The powered speaker has speaker protection,

plus the amp and speaker are matched. It

should not blow the speaker.

Reliability, it should be OK. It's intended for

road work. With any setup, I would like to

have a backup though, especially with an

untested rig.

I have used two of those SansAmps.

Lots of folks disagree with me, but I like

the Hartkee Bass Attack better. It's

only about $80. To me, it sounds

better and is easier to get a good

sound.

I use one with one of those wonderful

sounding 700 watt Crown PA amps and

a kick but 410 Genz Benz cab,

3-8-3b-2.jpg

The amp was pretty cheep on eBay,,,

It has a wonderful, powerful and

clear sound.

The speakers are the only expensive

part of my rig.

I have a Peavey Basic 40 in my practice

room. I use a Digitec BP8 tub preamp

i got off eBay for $25 plus $10 shipping.

You would be surprised how good it sounds.

5-11-2.jpg

In my bedroom, I use a Marshal ValveState

guitar practice amp. I closed off the back

and it sounds like crap. But, it will do OK

at low volume and not wake everybody up,

5-14-1.jpg

5-14-2.jpg

I'm Bass amp poor, but I make up for it,

Tabdog

• Members

Thanks, tabdog, for showing me your different rigs. It'll give me future ideas for various situations!
:thu:

dude, if you want the future check this out... the micro-rig of doom. Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 (600wX4ohms) two Phil Jones Bass 4b cabinets

100_0532.jpg

It made me sell my ampeg 810......:D

• Members

dude, if you want the future check this out... the micro-rig of doom. Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 (600wX4ohms) two Phil Jones Bass 4b cabinets

100_0532.jpg

It made me sell my ampeg 810......
:D

This is definitely a new wave for the serious player.

Thanks for sharing,

Tabdog

• Members

PJB stuff is awesome.

Look ridiculous...check.

Cost twice as much as equivalent performance from a cabinet design that isn't retarded...check.

Still weigh a damn ton relative to their performance...check.

Awesome.

• Members

PJB stuff is awesome.

Look ridiculous...check.

Cost twice as much as equivalent performance from a cabinet design that isn't retarded...check.

Awesome.

The 4b's cost about $500.00 apiece, they outperform any 410 I have heard, also outperformed my Genz Benz Neo 212XT's and they weigh about 40lbs each......:idk: Don't hate me because I am beautiful......:lol:

• Moderators
PJB stuff is awesome.

Look ridiculous...check.

Awesome.

Pics of your rig?

• Moderators
Behringer does not belong on any stage anywhere. So yes! As long as only you have to hear it!
;)
but even then, you can find better. check out older peavey combos.

I'm surprised you didn't suggest a Sonic Maximizer! :lol:

• Members

Behringer does not belong on any stage anywhere. So yes! As long as only you have to hear it!
;)
but even then, you can find better. check out older peavey combos.

Not sure of the origins of your broad-stroke dismissal of Behringer, but the tone of my POD->Behringer rig KILLS every old Peavey combo I've ever heard...and I'm confident you'd agree if you got a chance to hear it - though that probably only would be the case if you didn't know in advance it was a POD into a B212A. It's a fact that most audio opinion (both positive and negative) is affected by mood or equipment prejudice rather than actual listening. EVERYONE is subject to these prejudices.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything...just stating confidently and in contrast to what you've said that he can get great sounds with that speaker if he puts some sort of modeler or preamp into it. I simply disagree with what you've said. :)

Brian V.

Archived