do you guys gig with a backup? also, if you do...

plurabelle

• Members

Just wondering if you guys gigged with a back up bass. I wouldn't dare play a gig where I'm using electric guitar, without a backup. I'm not sure its necessary with bass.

I played bass in a band for years when I was real young. I traveled all the time, rehearsed constantly, and only ever owned one bass at any time because I was too poor to own more than one. At that time, if I wanted new gear, then my old gear got traded in. Never had an issue where I needed to have a back up bass, but I was always aware that I should be careful with my gear, and I was really protective of my stuff when it was backstage.

Also, does anyone who brings a back up, use a case that holds two basses? Just wondering how cumbersome those are.

• Members

In 30+ years of bass playing I have broken exactly 3 strings: One A-string when I was about 17, and slapping much too furiously, a brand-new G-string while tuning up to pitch for the first time after changing, and an E-string during a gig (with no backup). Since that time (about 1998 or so) when I broke the E-string, I have never gigged without at least two basses. My Zon 5-string gets 99% of the play, anyway, but I always have one of my 4-strings available either as a backup for a catastrophic failure or for alternate (drop-D, 1/2 step down, etc) purposes. Even when I just go to jam with friends, I usually take 2 basses.

• Members

I have a '54 tele bass copy now (tele pick guard, single coil pu), and I was thinking itd be cool to get a second tele/pre '57 style p bass, but set it up slightly different from my first one. I'd have two similar basses, but each were different enough that I'd have a little variety.

I have suffered catastrophic equipment failure at gigs before, and am known in some circles as the guy who travels to gigs way too prepared.

I don't see the harm in buying a second bass, especially if its one ill at least bring to gigs/rehearsals, and not leave in the closet like all 6 of my guitars.

I started thinking about this last night when I came across a decent deal on a ATA flight case that holds two basses.

• Members

I have one of my old basses I leave in my car when I goto gigs, never needed it tho. If something was to go wrong, It'd would more likely be my bass amp or cables. Does anyone lug around spare bass amps? I couldn't imagine many do.

• Members

I carry a spare occasionally, not as much anymore. Just strings and batteries. Haven't broken a string in many years, last time I did it broke right at the bridge, no backup. I was able to unwind enough to pull through and tie a knot, made it the rest of the night.

• Members

I always bring 2 basses, 2 bass amps, at least 2 cabs, extra cables, extra strap, batteries, backup mic, backup guitar amp, spare power boxes, 1/4" to NL-4 adapters, etc.

I haven't needed them yet. But I will the first time I forget to bring them....

• Members

I usually bring 2 basses just in case. I've never had an issue to where I needed to use a backup (knock on wood), but we do a few different tunings so I've got them set up accordingly. I have them in separate hard cases, the double hard cases I've seen are monstrous and I'm not fan of the double gig bags as it defeats the purpose of a gig bag in the first place (for me, to be lighter and easily maneuverable).

I've never gigged with a backup amp or cabinets, but I do bring a separate DI (Radial JDI) and always have 2 cabs, so I suppose it's sort of a backup. The DI for the amp, and I can always go down to one cab if needed.

Backup cables, strings, picks, batteries, output jacks, gaffer tape, soldering equipment, etc. It's all in my handy little gig survival kit.

• Members

I've never broken a bass string, ever...gig or otherwise. But I am a great believer in Murphy's law. You know...the one that says that "if anything can go wrong it will" (especially if/when you are unprepared). I always took (and still would take) a back up bass AND a back-up amp head. I also always have an extra set of strings in the case of every guitar and every bass I own & I don't even gig any more, just jam every Sunday, LOL. But old habbits die hard.

• Members

I take two basses, two heads, one cab & a DI box. With the advent of lightweight heads, I take a Markbass LM II. Just ordered a cheap fretless, so that will be my backup going forward.

As to the second part of the question, I am happy carrying the basses separately. They're awkward enough 1 per case!

Archived