advice for guy plugging electric bass directly into PA system

andyhumb

• Members

I am not a bass player, but I have a friend who is playing bass in a church band and tells me he is plugging his electric bass direclty into the church PA system. He tried a friends cheap small bass amp and it was too quiet. Anyway, I told him it makes no sense to plug directly into a PA system with an electric bass, but if he absolutely insists to do this, I think he should first go into something like a Bass POD or something like that.

Any solutions for under $100 used that I could suggest to this guy? Im thinking maybe a used Bass POD off of evay cheap. That should improve the tone a bit.

Much appreciated

• Members

Grab a DI. You can usually find a Radial JDI or a Countryman Type 85 for around $100 on the used market. Let the soundman EQ for the room. How does your friend hear himself?

Why does it make no sense? The majority of larger venues are going to run bass through the PA. Otherwise you'd never hear it, let alone feel it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitargod0dmw View Post
Grab a DI. You can usually find a Radial JDI or a Countryman Type 85 for around $100 on the used market. Let the soundman EQ for the room. How does your friend hear himself?

Why does it make no sense? The majority of larger venues are going to run bass through the PA. Otherwise you'd never hear it, let alone feel it.

Agreed - I prefer the Countryman because it sounds great with all my basses, both passive and active - whereas the JDI I had didn't work that well with some of my passives... Still, both are pro grade pieces of gear that can be had around $100 used - and are well worth it for any bass player...

- georgestrings

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by andyhumb View Post
I am not a bass player, but I have a friend who is playing bass in a church band and tells me he is plugging his electric bass direclty into the church PA system. He tried a friends cheap small bass amp and it was too quiet. Anyway, I told him it makes no sense to plug directly into a PA system with an electric bass, but if he absolutely insists to do this, I think he should first go into something like a Bass POD or something like that. Any solutions for under $100 used that I could suggest to this guy? Im thinking maybe a used Bass POD off of evay cheap. That should improve the tone a bit. Much appreciated
If the PA has a high impedance input or the bass is active there's really no problem with plugging straight in. Otherwise a simple impedance transformer works. I carry one of these:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062444

• Moderators

Back in my pro days, my amp went out one night. Having no other choice, I plugged directly into the PA. It was a bit weak on the low end, but otherwise sounded great. In fact, it sounded so good that I continued to play that way for some time. In what way does this "make no sense"?

Technical details: this was some thirty years ago. The board was a Yamaha unit, and had both

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Really, it's no big deal to plug a bass directly into a PA or recording mixer; turn the treble down a bit if it's too bright sounding. All a "clean" DI box is going to do is convert the signal from high-impedance unbalanced to a low-impedance balanced signal; they don't do any tone shaping. I own a SansAmp bass DI and I'm a big fan of it. Basically, it's a DI box but simulates the sound of a bass amp + cab, and has controls for tone, volume and drive. There's a cheap copy of the SansAmp Bass DI by Behringer called the V-tone BDI-21. Sounds just like the SansAmp, but it's housed in a plastic box instead of a metal one, and can't be powered from phantom power like the SansAmp. I bought the Behringer first and later bought the SansAmp when I could afford it.
The SansAmp bass DI, about $200

This is all I use now. I also have a 10" powered JBL wedge if I really need to hear myself. I do play upright bass, however. So monitoring is not that much of an issue.
For the rock gigs that require more power, I roll out my two Ampeg 15" SVT cabs with the GK 1001RB. Way overkill, I know, but they look neat stacked up. Plus it's a mini-weightlifting workout if I remember to use my legs, not my back! ;P
FWIW the party band gigs require only one SVT cab, and I use the GK's built-in DI to go to the house.

• 1 month later...

Archived