Test Results: Chicago Cable Testing

Thunderbroom

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In addition, the report on this thread was more vague than I have ever seen. (Now that I mention this of course, someone will post some after the fact detailed results)

What kind of details are you after? Using the A/B/X testing method, participants could guess and get the answer right ~50% of the time. Maybe those that participated will chime in with their percentages. Is this what you're looking for?

• Members

The only difference would be if there was a hum or other noise from one cable or another. They all have to get a small amount of current from point A to point B. Also a smaller cable would have more resistance and have heat issues. I played a real cheap cable that came with a bass in the store to check it out and one cable end got pretty hot.

• Members

The only difference would be if there was a hum or other noise from one cable or another. They all have to get a small amount of current from point A to point B. Also a smaller cable would have more resistance and have heat issues. I played a real cheap cable that came with a bass in the store to check it out and one cable end got pretty hot.

All of the cables used in the test were 15' except the van den Hul cable which was 12' and also directional. It should have been clearly superior to the 15' Whirlwind Leader but was not.

• Members

All of the cables used in the test were 15' except the van den Hul cable which was 12' and also directional. It should have been clearly superior to the 15' Whirlwind Leader but was not.

I meant a smaller diameter cable like those cheap ones you get free when you buy a bass. Those are throw aways because they aren't any good. I wasn't being clear.

• Members

I meant a smaller
diameter
cable like those cheap ones you get free when you buy a bass. Those are throw aways because they aren't any good. I wasn't being clear.

While I have no data to back me up, I do have some anecdotal evidence tot he contrary that I'll post when I have time.

On a related note, George L has the small diameter cable that folks swear by.

• Members

While I have no data to back me up, I do have some anecdotal evidence tot he contrary that I'll post when I have time.

On a related note, George L has the small diameter cable that folks swear by.

I'm sure they sound the same. The smaller diameter ones always seem to be hotter for me due to more resistance or something.

• Members

Could someone explain how you can have a "directional" cable? I figured that wire is wire, all things being equal, and that it shouldn't make any difference to the signal if a given end is plugged into the amp.

That was asked in the last cable thread and no one, not even the guy selling them, could provide an explanation.

• Members
Exactly what did they make you do???
:confused:

Well, if I remember correctly, it's supposed to be a no questions asked policy. However, GC made me go home(only 2 HOURS AWAY) and get my receipt for proof of purchase. Fortunately, I still had them. They treated me like I was some sort of criminal for exercising Monster's return policy. Learning about Monster's prickish attitude regarding their name doesn't help my opinion of the company either.
I'm tickled about how yesterdays opportunity proved other and better options. :thu:

• Members
Can the fat low notes squeeze through that skinny George L cable? :poke:

Only on a 4 stringer, the 5 stringers need a little more tube space. It's like the internets, it's not trucks, but tubes.

You should see the pipe they have to lay for those 11 string bass players. :eek:

• Members

You want definitive results? Plug all these cables into an occiliscope with the same bass, playing the same notes. Someone here once did that with a couple different wireless' and a cable or two. Best test I've ever seen. Yes, seen, as in the exact picture of the cables signal. Hard to argue with that. Personally no cable has ever made a bass of mine sound different. Some may have more noise, bad shielding or bad construction, but none have ever changed the tone regardless of price.

• Members

You want definitive results? Plug all these cables into an occiliscope with the same bass, playing the same notes. Someone here once did that with a couple different wireless' and a cable or two. Best test I've ever seen. Yes, seen, as in the exact picture of the cables signal. Hard to argue with that. Personally no cable has ever made a bass of mine sound different. Some may have more noise, bad shielding or bad construction, but none have ever changed the tone regardless of price.

I'm the person that did that test.

• Members

I was thinking that was you, do you still have the means to do it with the cables you have?

I do have the means but finding the time is another matter.

Personally, think those tests I did are meaningless when compared to actually listening to the cables. In the tests I did there was a drop off on the low B of my five string which makes sense my wireless is not rated to 31hz. It was clear on the graph; however, I could not hear the difference. My bandmates can't hear the difference either.

As you'll recall from that test there was NO difference between the Monster Bass cable and an elcheapo that I had laying around. When I posted my results I was told by some folks that there must be a difference. If I recall correctly, and I certainly may be wrong, T. Alan was one of the naysayers. If my recollection is correct, I think he may now agree with me.

• Members
I do have the means but finding the time is another matter.

Personally, think those tests I did are meaningless when compared to actually listening to the cables.

I think those were the MOST meaningful tests possible. People will hear what they want to hear. People who buy expensive cable will think they can hear them sound better, but the scope don't lie. Trons are trons and those pictures proved that out in undisputable terms.:cool:

• Members
All I remember is that I liked the VHD? VDH? the best.

Also, I thought I was hearing differences between those cables. I even wrote down characteristics of both I was hearing. But after finding out I guess wrong on most counts, I was lead to believe I don't hear the $100+ difference. I pay around $30 on a monster cable. I'd love to do a side by side with Monster and see if I can hear the difference. I don't remember how much the VDH/VHD cost...

• Members
I think those were the MOST meaningful tests possible. People will hear what they want to hear. People who buy expensive cable will think they can hear them sound better, but the scope don't lie. Trons are trons and those pictures proved that out in undisputable terms.
:cool:

I'd be willing to do the testing again but honestly don't expect results any different than what I got when I tested the elcheapo and the Monster Bass.

As stated previously, T. Alan thought he was hearing a difference until he had to blind-test. That's all the proof I need.

• Members

Data is data boys and after recieving countless emails from happy customers who could hear a difference (regardless of brand) for the cable they were using before and the cable I sent them I question your methods and results becasue in my experience it is an anomaly.

And the opinion that the earth is flat was shared by a vast majority at one time. If you want to really make the point, you simply run the different cables with calibrated sweep generators through an audio range spectrum analyser (a device that measures power at frequency, thus showing how overtones are effected by a cable) and show the results. I've never seen any high end cable maker do this because it will show just what I've seen in real life. There IS a difference.....starting well above the megahertz range. Since humans don't hear above about 2% of that range, it's kind of a mute point. Cable length has a much bigger impact than cable brand as long as the cables have been constructed correctly.

• Members

Look, with differences in capacitance, metals and construction you have to be deaf not to hear a difference - that is the bottom line.

What...? What....?

Several of us took some time on a beutiful Chicago Sunday to sit inside and do this test. That alone should lend some credence to the test. I have to say that I think the test was decently organized and controlled. I can't imagine how it could have been done differently to achive better results. With that being said you have to realize that I'm a musician thats been playing and listening to a lifetime of loud music. Perhaps that is an element that should be taken into consideration when trying to distinguish tonal quality between different cable manufacturers. Of course your target market is going to be musicians I would guess? Perhaps even those that play and listen to loud music?

• Members

I don't remember how much the VDH/VHD cost...

$179.95 for a 12' cable

The blind-test to me is proof that most people really can't hear a difference. Everyone was told that this is the Whirlwind and that this one is the vdH. Now, here's one of the two cables...which is it? There was no one there, other than sarabella, that could consistently identify the cables. If the vdH is clearly superior...to the tune of ~$165 difference in price...it seems that folks could identify it 80%+ of the time if not more. The bottom line was that they couldn't regardless of what they thought they heard.

Archived