Test Results: Chicago Cable Testing

Thunderbroom

• Moderators

Thanks for your test. I will tell you though, that this is first time that I have sent multiple cables to anyone and they have not heard a difference, so I question your testing methods and bias prior to testing (
you were all clearly biased against hearing a difference and your results are no surprise to me
). As I have had a an informal loaner program for a couple of years now and have sent sets of of 3-5 cables to numerous guitarists and bass players and they ALWAYS had a preference and returned the cable they did not like as much...

But there's a reason why I offer commodity cables such as Canare, Mogami, and Gepco at low prices was well...

And there's a reason why the Bass Player of the Black Crowes is using my Lava ELC Tweed cable....

Anybody else see a contradiction here?

LavaMan, are you accusing Thunderbroom of lying? I just want everything clear.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you can find someone to send me one. I've been working on my invention of kicking dudes in the nuts through the internet.

fancy cables

perpetual motion machines

virtual nut-kicking contraption (wonder if a pre-op tranny will confuse the algorythm? gotta test it!)

That's a G2G/month. Enough to close 2007.

• Members

I see that, and I also see a possible insinuation that these guys aren't worthy of the higher-end cables because they can't tell the difference.

What a class act.

• Members

I could have saved you all a lot of time and trouble:D. Of course I've been saying the high end cables are snake oil since trying out some Tara Labs and A/Bing them with some Planet waves. Everyone can believe what they want to believe and personally I could give two {censored}s what the bassplayer of the black crowes plays..you do realize they are a bunch of stoners right?? You could plug my cock into his amp and I could hum a tune and he wouldn't hear a difference.

Dan

• Members

I just want to know what physically differentiates high-dollar cables from regular cables. Is there a difference in the copper used? The solder? The steel used in the jacks? Is there a difference in construction on a fundamental level?

I'm not surprised that Lavaman got bent out of shape, really, because his whole sales ploy relies on people being able to tell the difference. I tried some expensive cables at the shop and casually compared them to some George L's that I had slapped together in under a minute and I found no appreciable difference in sound quality; any difference that could have possibly been there that I wasn't hearing certainly was not worth the extra $40 or whatever per cable.

Thanks for doing the cable test, gents and dames, but I'm not surprised in the least regarding your conclusions. What I'm more interested in is quality of construction, durability and any guarantees that are offered, and I personally like Planet Waves best when it comes to all that.

C7

• Moderators

I just want to know what
physically
differentiates high-dollar cables from regular cables. Is there a difference in the copper used? The solder? The steel used in the jacks? Is there a difference in construction on a fundamental level?

There was very clearly a difference in construction and materials between the high end cables and the others. In some cases, the conductor was made from silver instead of copper. The connectors are different. Most people found the stiffness and large gauge of the more expensive cables to be a negative and they certainly would be a pain in the ass on stage due to lack of flexibility. However, like I said above, the tweed cable looks great. In fact, the high end cables simply look and feel more expensive. There is no question that without listening you expect the expensive cables to outperform the standard cables. Listening tests indicated otherwise.

• Members

Slightly off topic, but you guys didn't manage to test any Planet Waves or Hosa cables? No one really stocks the brands you guys test over here, so im just curious because I swapped and *personally* felt there was a difference...

*waits to be flamed*

i think that's where a big part of all the hoodoo and commotion comes from. if you go from a 20 ft cable made from say "conductor a " with nickel connectors to a 40ft cable with "conductor b" with gold connectors it is completely plausible that you would hear a difference due to lower capacitances.

i'd be interested to see the differences on a scope between cables that people think they can hear differences in that are made with similar materials.if you can't see it on a scope then it's all b.s.

imho,that is :poke:

• Members

I don't know if Whirlwind is assembled by 4 yr. olds working for a can of beans at the end of the month, or that the components are made by a guy working to send his kids to the USA for a better life.

Unless minimum wage in Rochester, NY is a can of beans per month, that isn't the case. ;)

Whirlwind's Classic, Leader and Leader Elite cables are made in the USA.

Cool test. I'm not surprised about the results. I would have enjoyed listening to T Alan play for an hour. That guy has skills.

• Members

Thanks for posting this up guys. I've used many cables over the years. Including Monster, Planet Waves, Fender, Cheap-o store brand cables, even cheaper cables aswell, also a few other cables that I can't remember the names of.

I've noticed that there isnt really a difference in the sound of the more well made cables, Fender, Planet Waves etc.

The cheaper cables I did notice a difference, mainly loss of low end and some extra noise. I noticed this especially when using the cables with pedals. Obviously not shielded properly or something like that.

I think what matters the most is the quality of construction, and how the cable coils up etc.

I have a red/black tweed style cable from Fender that I don't really like because it just curls up and twists up so much. Whereas the Planet Waves is more usuable because it moves where I want it to move.

• Members

Look, with differences in capacitance, metals and construction you have to be deaf not to hear a difference - that is the bottom line.

I repeat: This is the first time I have sent multiple cables to ANY musician(s) who have not been to hear a difference and I have done this nearly 100 times in the past 2 years....(to include numerous wives, girlfriends etc...who could hear the difference as well) The folks on this forum were doubting Thomas's before the test and this carried through into the testing...

What I should have done is sleeved each cable and labled them A,B, C etc...

Data is data boys and after recieving countless emails from happy customers who could hear a difference (regardless of brand) for the cable they were using before and the cable I sent them I question your methods and results becasue in my experience it is an anomaly.

• Members

you shoulda done the testing via recording.

of course you aren't going to hear a significant difference live.

According to Lava Man, the difference should have been obvious.

He said the following in the thread that started it all:

Trust me, all it takes is one time HEARING the SIGNIFICANT audible differences in cable design and you will NOT want to plug back into cheap copper coax - at least if your tone and amp response is important to you at all...

I've met a couple of the guys who were involved in the testing and I know what a stickler T Alan is for sound. He has great ears and if the difference was SIGNIFICANT, he would have heard it and placed an order the next day.

• Members

Lavaman...would you be opposed to us forwarding your cables to another group of forumites (provided such a group exists). We'd send the Whirlwind Leader, the EWI and the Bayou as well. They can conduct their own testing and see if they get similar or different results.

send 'em to me. i'll get something arranged here in the KC area with those among us. will try to bring in a couple of talkbassers, and some non-internetters too...

perhaps, if takeout is willing, we might even be able to do some recording testing...

• Members

I've met a couple of the guys who were involved in the testing and I know what a stickler T Alan is for sound. He has great ears and if the difference was SIGNIFICANT, he would have heard it and placed an order the next day.

This was the true test for me as I don't think I have great hearing but know that T. Alan does. In fact, I didn't even participate in the testing per se. I just switched the cables. When Kindness took over cable-switching duties, I did try to tell the difference but couldn't.

When T. Alan thought he was hearing a difference, and Kindness blind-tested him and he couldn't correctly pick the cable I knew that this was all bull{censored}. I'm sure that Lavaman will find many people to purchase his cables. Hell, I'd like to have one of those tweed cables myself but won't pay $65.95 just to have the tweed look in a 15' cable.

Archived