Sign in to follow this  
thewthrman

Speaker suggestions for Peavey Mark VI head

I have a Peavey Mark VI head that I have been using with this pretty terrible Fender cabinet.  The cabinet is a 115 Fender Sidekick 100.  I guess the head is ok, but I really do not like this cabinet.  I may have blown the speaker or maybe it was blown and I never noticed.  This cabinet is pretty huge and weighs alot I think for a cabinet with one strap handle on the side.

I see alot of peavey 118 or 115 cabinets on Craigslist pretty cheap.  Are some of these PA speakers and some bass speakers, or is an 18 and 18?  In the 80s I played with a guy who used an SP2 for his bass rig.  He was a really good player, so I always assumed that was a good idea.  Now, I am not so sure.

I have seen some guys talking about using 210 cabinets for bass.  Of course, it seems to me that there is no way a 210 and a 118 can do the same job.

I would like a nice round and clean vintage tone.  A good sound for motown or soul.  I have a pbass with flatwounds, of that is any indication of what I think I want to sound like.  I was just waiting for an old 115 peavey cab to come up on craigslist.  Does that make sense?  I just want to have a nice solid all purpose rig that is small but full enough to use on gigs where the bass isn't going through the PA.

thewthrman wrote:

I have seen some guys talking about using 210 cabinets for bass.  Of course, it seems to me that there is no way a 210 and a 118 can do the same job.

I would like a nice round and clean vintage tone.  A good sound for motown or soul.  I have a pbass with flatwounds, of that is any indication of what I think I want to sound like.  I was just waiting for an old 115 peavey cab to come up on craigslist.  Does that make sense?  I just want to have a nice solid all purpose rig that is small but full enough to use on gigs where the bass isn't going through the PA.

One of the reasons you see Peavey 15's and 18's for sale is that they are bigger and heavier than a lot of people want to carry on gigs. Plus they tend to last forever.

2x10 cabs don't sound like a 1x18, but they get the job done. With the right EQ and amp you could get a good motown sound out of one if you wanted to.

I like modular a lot more than monolithic -- as in a pair of carryable 2x10 cabinets instead of one 4x10 cabinet.  A pair of 2x10 cabinets can get just about any job done unless you are talking about reggae dub.  A 2x10 cabinet along with a 1x15 (on casters) is another flexible combination.  In any example above, you can take just one of those cabinets to small gigs.  

*BLEEP* wrote:

I like modular a lot more than monolithic -- as in a pair of carryable 2x10 cabinets instead of one 4x10 cabinet.  A pair of 2x10 cabinets can get just about any job done unless you are talking about reggae dub.  A 2x10 cabinet along with a 1x15 (on casters) is another flexible combination.  In any example above, you can take just one of those cabinets to small gigs.  

That's true. I've found two 2x10's not only to be more flexable for more gigs than a 4x10, but to me they sound better when stacked as a column rather than in a cube.

A lot depends on the cab design. My 2x10's, for example, sound good to Eb below open E, D is ok, but below that is unacceptable. Others that I've tried were much more 5-string friendly, for a lot more money and weight.