I am the Thread Killer

T-40

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow, I haven't been on this forum in so long... I don't even know what HCBF is anymore. I tried my old login, and it worked... I am so confused. Nah. I, however, have no playable bass. I was trying to remember that old upload site... bloodvelvet or something... I got interested in old clips of mine, because I saw my siggy here with my poop playing and awful recording setup. I guess this is my reintroduction post. :o

• Members

60 hour work weeks are fun!

I had about that a couple weeks back. It started with a 2:30am wake up call Sunday morning that ran until 3am Monday morning. A 24-hour day is bad enough. A 24-hour day on 3 hours sleep sucks :mad: Got Monday off, at least, but still managed around 60. I forget the exact number now.

• Members
60 hour work weeks are fun!

I had about that a couple weeks back. It started with a 2:30am wake up call Sunday morning that ran until 3am Monday morning. A 24-hour day is bad enough. A 24-hour day on 3 hours sleep sucks
:mad:
Got Monday off, at least, but still managed around 60. I forget the exact number now.

Turned out it was a 70 hour work week. :D

oohhhh sounds fun. At least mine where from 8:00 on, every weekday.

• Members

Turned out it was a 70 hour work week.
:D

oohhhh sounds fun. At least mine where from 8:00 on, every weekday.

70? Ouch. Though it might not have been as painful if you were pulling about 10 a day for 7 days. That does wreak havoc on the social life, though. Having it strung out among multiple days is definitely easier. I've had those weeks and I'd probably rather have those than feel like a zombie at the end. I haven't had any really bad work strings in a while. Usually that involves either server migrations to new hardware or patching on a panic deadline (like DST).

• Members
70? Ouch. Though it might not have been as painful if yojavascript://u were pulling about 10 a day for 7 days. That does wreak havoc on the social life, though. Having it strung out among multiple days is definitely easier. I've had those weeks and I'd probably rather have those than feel like a zombie at the end. I haven't had any really bad work strings in a while. Usually that involves either server migrations to new hardware or patching on a panic deadline (like DST).

Well I just turned in my time card and it was 60. But I also worked off of the clock about 5 hours too. I guess I was 5 off.

But yeah. We had a controller being shipped out and it needed a new feature. And guess who was the one to add it? :love: The day before we were suppose to ship it, we find out it needed something added, that wasn't stated very clearly by the customer.

• Members

Well I just turned in my time card and it was 60. But I also worked off of the clock about 5 hours too. I guess I was 5 off.

But yeah. We had a controller being shipped out and it
needed
a
new
feature. And guess who was the one to add it?
:love:
The day before we were suppose to ship it, we find out it needed something added, that wasn't stated very clearly by the customer.

Heh, I love that. Oh, by the way, here's some super important thing we need but didn't tell you about and it just has to be in there. About as much fun as management that thing, "oh it'll be what, a week?" for that multi-month project.

• Members
Heh, I love that. Oh, by the way, here's some super important thing we need but didn't tell you about and it just has to be in there. About as much fun as management that thing, "oh it'll be what, a week?" for that multi-month project.

Haha yeah. Surprise work secks! It needed to be done for future ones, but doing it in a week was a bitch. But yeah, that's life, sadly.

Oh well, with the overtime I actually might get a new computer. My current desktop is only 6 years old. haha

• Members

Haha yeah. Surprise work secks! It needed to be done for future ones, but doing it in a week was a bitch. But yeah, that's life, sadly.

Oh well, with the overtime I actually might get a new computer. My current desktop is only 6 years old. haha

Overtime!? :mad: Lucky bastard :mad: 6 years? I actually got lucky and was able to replace both my 5yo desktop and almost 8yo laptop earlier this year. I'm sure both of these will have to last me (maybe with small upgrades like memory or video card) for another 5+.

I'm probably going to turn the old one into the family computer at some point. Though it's hosting print services and I'm lazy and don't want to change that out right now.

• Members
Overtime!?
Lucky bastard
6 years? I actually got lucky and was able to replace both my 5yo desktop and almost 8yo laptop earlier this year. I'm sure both of these will have to last me (maybe with small upgrades like memory or video card) for another 5+.

I'm probably going to turn the old one into the family computer at some point. Though it's hosting print services and I'm lazy and don't want to change that out right now.

Yeah, my boss was nice to me. :]

But yeah, a P4 and a 9600 GT can't do too much gaming now.

heh, turn one into a file/print server with FreeBSD. =D

• Members

Time to hit up Newegg or Amazon and grab a new computer! :D

Right now the print server is running XP since it's my old desktop and It Just Works ™ right now. No file servers these days. The wife's on about saving power so the file/print server turned into the print server and mostly just stores an extra copy of critical stuff like pics and family videos.

As it is, I've got yet another box my friend gave me that needs a graphics card. I haven't even had a chance to touch that one yet. I figure that one will probably end up the family rig and my old desktop can become a Mame arcade. I just need to yank the old monitor out of my cabinet and throw in a new one, then get the controls wired up to the PC. Though I'll probably put in new sticks while I'm at it. The old sticks are over 10 years old at this point (bought used it in 2001).

All I need is... money.

Crap :mad:

• Members

{censored} :mad:

:p

my new comp parts should be here tomorrow. I'm super excited. First comp I've build completely from scratch before.

AMD 3.4 BE CPU and a nice aftermarket heatsink/fan
Some DDR3 1600 cas 7 RAM
ASUS MB with a AMD3+ socket with 2 PCI X16 slots(one at 16 for main gpu and one at 4 for physics)
Western Digital Black Series 500GB harddrive (gotta leave one hard drive in this comp)
Thermaltake 850W modular power supply
Recerfed PNY 470GTX

Going to over clock the CPU and use my 9600 GT for physics.

• Members

Time to hit up Newegg or Amazon and grab a new computer! :D

Right now the print server is running XP since it's my old desktop and It Just Works ™ right now. No file servers these days. The wife's on about saving power so the file/print server turned into the print server and mostly just stores an extra copy of critical stuff like pics and family videos.

As it is, I've got yet another box my friend gave me that needs a graphics card. I haven't even had a chance to touch that one yet. I figure that one will probably end up the family rig and my old desktop can become a Mame arcade. I just need to yank the old monitor out of my cabinet and throw in a new one, then get the controls wired up to the PC. Though I'll probably put in new sticks while I'm at it. The old sticks are over 10 years old at this point (bought used it in 2001).

All I need is... money.

Crap :mad:

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by oldivor

View Post

wait, what?

Eh, I probably got lost in multiple thoughts while work was happening, realized I hadn't hit "submit" and just pressed without double checking....

So at home right now I have a desktop and laptop I use regularly. In addition, my previous desktop is the print server. It's only powered on when we need to print and since my wife tends to print things out when I'm asleep, I've left the printer on that one so my desktop can be powered off since it uses more power.

Eventually, I'd like to get a new laser printer with a wifi connection. If so, I'll probably turn the print server into a Mame computer and put it into an arcade cabinet I've got that's currently just running Killer Instinct. I'll probably also put some new joysticks in since I've had the thing almost 11 years now and not yet replaced the controllers.

Beyond that, I have another desktop a friend gave me. It needs a graphics card still so I've yet to fire it up. That will end up the family computer, most likely. I'll just throw some cheapy graphics card in there and call it a day.

• 1 month later...